Tuesday, April 01, 2008

April Fool's Day

Greetings Readers

I am back from my mini-vacation at the Ranch. I decided to go and see my parents, especially since it was my Dad'd birthday this past weekend

I have had a pretty short and long vacation, but I think I needed the time to rest and away from the world in general

I left Thursday's night and arrive in Albuquerque, New Mexico about 4 AM on Friday. It was a nice 47 degrees. Readers - compared to Denver's 20 to 30 degrees in the morning I loved the 47 degrees. Balmy! hah hah

I met my father and brother. Mother was at the Ranch since we had a new calf the previous day so someone had to stay at the ranch to mind the new calf and the mother.

We did not stay in Albuquerque very long on Friday. Just to pick up some groceries, stuff at Wal-mart, and breakfast. We made a stop at a liquor store to pick up some local beer called - Tractor. We picked up a Pale Ale, Stout and Red Ale all by Tractor made in Los Lunas, NM.

We then left Albuquerque and headed to the ranch. I saw the movie set that my parents had told me about on the phone. I have a few pictures and I will post for you. On Monday they started tearing down the set so it seems that principle shooting at that location is complete. So, in a movie in the coming future that shows "Love Ranch" I can tell you where it was shot in New Mexico and also that I was about 40 yards away from the Set's entrance.

Finally, we got home. "Home" for me is also the Ranch. I took a quick look around and then I took a nap. I was tired since I really did not sleep since Thursday's night. I got up in time for Dinner and to watch WWE Smackdown (poor reception).

Next thing you know I was going to sleep at 9:30 PM. That is totally unheard of (in my world), but of course when at the Ranch - time does not exist so to speak.

Saturday - Mom cooked a nice breakfast. After that me and my dad had to gather the new mom and calf for transport to the vet. Later, we found out that we did not have to go to the vet - the issue remedied itself.

After that they decided to check on the cattle on the winter plot and I stayed behind since I was tired from travelling.

I toured the Ranch. It was so quiet and sort of empty without the chickens around anymore. Readers - please see previous post on the "Massacre" regarding the chickens and ginneys incident.

Today picture (first picture posted) is the last of the Ginneys & Chicken we had - we now only have four Ginneys. I also saw one of the two culprits shot (pictured) and our warnings to others culprits should they come near our Ranch.

I also read my new Stephen King book - Duma Key outside and inside the house. The day was in the 70 degrees region and boy oh boy it was nice. I had the three dogs come investigate me on what I was doing then one of the cats actually came out (from napping) and laid against my back in the shadow from the sun. Sort of makes me want to make cats an exception.

My parents finally came back and then that was when I started to cook Bratsworth and started to make salad and salsa. Everything came out good.

Though, I saw a bag of tortilla chips in cabinet and grabbed it to taste test my salsa. I grabbed a chip, dipped and ate. A hard crunch. I look at my mother and asked

"How old are these chips?"

"Those are the same chips you bought when you were here the last time." she said non-chalantly.

"Your kidding right?"

"Nope. Matter of fact the other chips in the cabinet are the same chips so you might as well throw those away too."

I shook my head, but oh well.

Sunday - Parents went to church and I stayed home. I cleaned up, read some more, then got lunch started about 12:30 PM, which consisted of Rice (Uncle Ben's), salad and Steak (Rib Eye this time) and some ribs (all grilled of course). Pretty darn good lunch.

More of this and that. Moved some irrigating pipes and then my favorite - shovelling shit. Horseshit and cow shit. This time around pretty dry droppings, but tons of it. My Mother and Father raked and shovel and I did the wheelbarrowing. I had to wheelbarrow about 50 yards out and then 50 yards back from a nearby arroyo that we are filling up with the leftover shit. By the way, I did not mention that the wind was blowing 20 to 30 miles an hour and boy oh boy that added that extra element of raking, shoveling and wheelbarrowing shit so much the better.

I did not get to ride at all at the Ranch. I did not even get to see my baby, Motobecane.

Monday - get up eat, very windy outside so we could not really do anything else outside. I did cook the rest of the ribs, mmmmm.

By the afternoon I had to go home - to Denver. I also had to go home to emails, phones, computers, city, noise, smog, starless skies, and conveniences I take for granted.

Tuesday morning 6:24 AM I was back in Denver and the COLD. Oh so cold, compared to New Mexico the past four days.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete.

No comments: