Friday, August 01, 2008

Sticking it to the Man

Greetings Readers

The dog days of August.

Well, I am not sure if that is right to write. Anyway, Yesterday I have given notice not to renew my membership at the CAC. I would like to continue, but I/they are not seeing eye to eye. No negotiations/haggling for price. Well, if you are not going to bend or counter offer my price, then I really do not see the benefit of re-newing for the sakes of re-newing for an entire year.

I countered by making the renewal rate at x dollars and no cents. Yes, it was below the amount quoted to me, but not unreasonable offer. They said they couldn't. private. already getting a discount. Well, if you are not going to bend for basically 30.00 dollars then too bad.

I have other things that expense for not re-newing could be used for. So, I am going to see if someone calls from the CAC before my membership ends at the end of the month. If no call, then no problem. I will be sad, but then as I mentioned I will have the bones for something else like a plasma tv. Yeah, plasma tv that would nice. Or perhaps another set of HED rims, different style, but oh yeah that's a desire that could come true.

After I dropped off my written notice last night I decided that I was going to go to the Arapahoe Marketplace and have a coke where I normally do after a bike ride. I had my rims, I was feeling good and it was after work which meant people were out shopping. In turn, I get more chances for people to see me and my rims. Ha ha.

I pull up to the Alberston's store and buy a Coca-Cola from the Coca-Cola vending machine. As I parked my bike at the curb I see a guy looking towards me while walking to Albertson's. Though he was probably looking at my bike. He does not know that I see him looking at me. Well, he then alters his course and starts walking to me.

"Hey do you think I need rim tape? I'm asking you because I heard that I do not need rim tape and you look like you know something about bikes since your bike looks like a racing bike and who better to ask right?

Being in such a happy mood, I made no sarcastic remark about how in the fuck would I know if he needs rim tape or not. I responded that the spokes are attached to the rims from the inside and depending on the manufacturer the spokes on the inside of the rim could be screwed in perhaps, welded or some other way that the spoke might be attached. I also mentioned that I honestly do not know much about spokes except how to true up the rims when needed.

But I added that he probably should have rim tape since that even though the spoke is probably flushed with the rim there could be some way or some edge that could rub against the tube and pop the tube. I told him that I have rim tape in all of my bikes and the cost of the rim tape is from 3 to 10 dollars so that extra expense is not that much compared to a bike tube that is also in the same price range.

He said thanks and ...

"by the way that is one sweet bike you got there"

Oh yeah, the smile on my face got bigger. As I wrote before - not a day goes by that I do not get a nice comment about my bike/rims.

When I was going home after enjoying my Coca-Cola I decided to stop by the Liquor Store. Yep, I parked in front of the liquor store, hung my bag around the seat and then threaded the bike cable through the bag handles, both rims, and bike rim. I was nervous, but I did not want to bike back up the road to get six of beer since I am already there.

Anyway, I decided to try something new, beer wise, and chose Flying Dog Ales - the porter beer. Not bad, but not very good. The cost was about 8 and change. But that is not really the reason for bringing this up.

I was reading the packaging and then I got to the beer label and read the back of the beer - and smiled once more. Damn, I sure did a lot of smiling yesterday. What made me smile was "...sticking it to the man." Because I uttered those same exact words earlier that day.

I am sticking it to the man, by not buying Coca-Cola from our vending machine at work. The cost for a bottle of Coca-Cola or and pop was a $ 1.00. Now, as of last week someone has changed all the prices on the vending machine to a $ 1.25. .25 cents extra. I got bent. Actually, I am still bent about the price increase. I had no problem paying a dollar a bottle, but now I have a problem by paying a $ 1.25 a bottle. It is twenty-five cents, but technically that is a 25 percent increase in price and that is what I have a problem with.

So, with me not buying any Coca-Cola's from the work vending machine, in my view, "I am sticking it to the man" I have started bringing cans of coke from the 12 packs I buy at the grocery store and I have Jenny's Market down the road that has 2 bottles (1 Liter) for $ 2.22. I used my Coca-Cola reward points and obtained a Coca-Cola lunch bag and I just ordered a 12 pack cooler, which I will bring to work. I am saving money by doing this course of action, but the course of action was initiated by the price of Coke going up 25 percent.

So, I am sticking it to the man

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

1 comment:

Sam H. said...

i'm pretty sure that coke qualifies as "the man", so, you're not really sticking it to them.