Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Qdoba Girl - 3 years later

Greetings Readers

It was just like any ordinary visit to my local Qdoba’s to get my burrito from my post bike ride. Mainly, to get my carbs from the rice and to get some chips and salsa that I love from Qdoba’s

I see that guy that I have gotten to know working behind the counter. He sees me and smile and I too see him and smile back.

“How are you? Is that a Mexico bike jersey you have on?” He says smiling.

Of course this is a joke that has been on going for a while. He must love Mexico since he always wonders if I am going to ride for Mexico or if I was going to ride in the Tour de France of the Summer Olympics for Mexico. I have to respond to him that I am not. I am too old and I am not that good. Though even that is speculation whether or not that I am a good rider.

Anyway, we are both joking and talking and I have to admit I do look forward to the weekend visits seeing him and basically treating me more than a customer. He treats me like an amigo.

He says to me see you next time and then I am off to the next person on the line to help me on what I want in my burrito. You know Readers, the person who asks what you want – very hot, hot, mild or medium salsa. Then, whether you want cheese, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes, etc.

I turn to the next person in line.

I was speechless. I could not fucking believe my eyes. There she was – the Qdoba girl from my past. A past that is about three years old now.

Readers, my smile that was on my face got bigger if that was possible and I say something to the effect “It’s you. How are you?!” And my eyes widen up with sudden excitement on seeing my Qdoba girl.

“Hi. How are you?” she responds.

I could not believe it Readers! This is/was the Qdoba girl that I have mentioned in my blog a few times in the past. I was so close to asking her out to a company Christmas party when she was suddenly gone from my life. She was adorable to me and yes I was smitten with her.

Well, the line was busy so I told her what I wanted but I/we were speed talking to each other since we knew we only had a very limited amount of time before she has to help the next person in line after me.

All of a sudden, the guy that I know interrupts our conversation. Whether it was jealousy on his behalf or something else, I immediately held up my hand to him in a stop hand gesture and then with my left hand I crossed my fore and middle finger and hold it front of me and the Qdoba girl and say to him. “Shhh. Me and her are like this.” And I smile at him and then at her and she smiles at me and then at him. And she says, “we are.”

He smiles and then goes away.

I do not know where that comment came from, but it came out since I did not want to be interrupted with our reunion after almost three years.

Flashback – During our speed talk conversation I asked her how long she has been working at this Qdoba’s store. She responds since November last year. Wow. November of last year and this was the first time that I saw her at this Qdoba’s location. Unfucking believable. I guess with her working presumably the hours that she worked at the other store I knew her at makes since. And with me seeing her this past weekend was pure fucking luck. Or perhaps fate.

Present - What is that saying? You find someone when you are not looking. Well, I have not been looking and I did find someone I am very attracted to.

I am so happy. Happy is not a word that even describes how I feel about seeing her. Now, I have to run into her again and hope for the best. Granted, a lot has happened in the three years since I last saw her, but I can only hope for the best.

She seemed happy to see me, but was that because I was a familiar face or perhaps the same way I feel about her? I do not know. Is she single? Probably not, but I can hope. Or at least give her the option to get to know me more.

Anyway, I cannot believe this. Qdoba girl after all these years. Fate?

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: