Sunday, August 31, 2008

DNC 2008 - Final Thoughts

Greetings Readers

In closing, I bought some Button Pins. I bought some Obama rubber bracelets (red and blue) and you know what readers I am actually wearing a rubber bracelet – an Obama bracelet – go figure. I have never even bought or put on a rubber bracelet, ever since Livestrong yellow bracelets made the bracelets what they are now. Showing your support, but also a Fashion accessory that can be matched to your wardrobe.

I saw trash overflow in Downtown Denver. I am sure that you heard or read that Denver was green for the DNC, but I think that was because no garbage trucks could get into Downtown Denver. I can only think that this was a security measure since a dump truck could be used for something other than garbage hauling. So, in my opinion, Denver decided to use “green” and show the world that trash was being hauled by modified bikes since I imagine that dump truck were probably forbidden in Downtown. Though that is speculation on my part.

I smelled the odor from the port-o-potties that were stationed at different areas downtown. I saw a lot of fast food containers littering the alleys, the trash bins and outside some stores. I never really noticed that there was any trash in the streets themselves.

I saw men and women in power suits that looked like they belong on Wall Street. I saw them lining the streets of Downtown looking at their phones since I can only assume that they did not have a pass to the Pepsi Center to see the DNC being held. I saw women who were showing some cleavage and legs. One could assume that this was normal, but the way that they looked and acted sure did not come off that way to me.

I saw the out of state visitors enjoying themselves in Denver. Probably doing the same thing I was doing – taking the whole DNC while it is happening in Denver.

I saw people selling Obama stuff. I would not know who were selling official Obama stuff, except the official Merchandise tent in front of the Colorado Convention Center. Some vendors had a nice set up and the stuff looks great. Other vendors had a single cheap looking table set up. Even more so people had those plastic tubs that you get at Wal-mart or Target and T-shirts just draped and jumbled up in the plastic tub. I was able to haggle, while others paid what was posted. Remember Readers, vendors in mass are willing to haggle since the next vendor have the same items are may undersell them at a lower price.

I did not get to see any protesters getting worked up. I did not see the Rage Against the Machine crowd marching. I did not see any famous movie stars. I did not get arrested. I did not have to have any of my co-workers bail me out. Ha ha. Kidding. Though, I joked that I would have a picture by picture of the police coming at me with riot gear and the big stick and then pictures of me probably on the ground with “the man” towering over me. And I did not get one picture of me against any DNC stuff. I figure you Readers can do without a picture of me at the DNC smiling for the camera.

Overall, the three days I went to the DNC I biked a total of 164.06 miles. I would have biked two hundreds miles if I did not go home and sleep on Wednesday evening, but I succumbed to my body being tired.

Day 1 – 54.38 miles

Day 2 – 50.34 miles

Day 3 – 0 miles

Day 4 – 59.34 miles

I said this before and I will say again – I am really surprised that I got interested in the Democratic National Convention. When I heard that Denver got picked to host the event a year ago I could fucking care less. This was so until about a month ago when my friend asked me to go downtown with her. From that point, I got excited and interested in the DNC. And now it is history for me.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: