Sunday, August 10, 2008

Badminton at the Olympics - wow

Greetings Readers

OK. It is official I am all over the Olympics, though I am not with the swimmer trying for 8 medals. I am for the ones I see on TV that perhaps need some support. I am for the player trying his/her best to beat their opponent. I am yelling for the underdog. I am cheering for all countries - not sticking to United States athletes.

If I did that then that's just wrong. I am not against the U.S., but it's shallow thinking, in my view, that we United States citizens should only root for U.S. Athletes. I have been watching all sorts of events in the past day. I am staying away from swimming and Basketball. Well, let's be truthful, I am staying away from Prime time TV since they, meaning NBC, will be focusing on certain athletes and a certain Basketball team and US playing.

I have been watching CNBC, MSNBC, USA and just a little coverage on NBC. I want to see a variety of events and I want to see other country athletes competing for a medal. As you can read a medal, not just gold. Yes, I want to see everyone compete for a medal and not just one person/team (US) going for gold.

I saw the Badminton match Juliane Schenk vs Maria Kristin Yulanti. Alright - the players were from Germany and Indonesia. Badminton. Who knew this was the match that was going to get me cheering early in the morning. It was a tight 3 setter and a marathon playing of badminton. I thought this was going to boring to watch. But, I saw each player playing, moving, swatting, jumping hitting and so forth. I was impressed. I was cheering each player, since I knew nothing of each player. Towards the end of the third set I was hoping for Germany's Schenk to win. Unfortunately, Schenk lost, but it goes to show you how something like Badminton could be making me cheer, yell, pump my fist and yell at the TV. 21-18, 13-21, 20-22.

Readers welcome to the Olympics, where any event could surprise you by perhaps by actually be entertaining and exciting.

I had to add a photo from last Sunday's excursion while I was in Downtown Denver, This is the famous statue at the foot of the Capitol building. This was a hard shot to take of since I wanted a close up picture. I wanted to have the statue and my bike in the same picture, but as close as I could without backing up and making the picture subjects look small. So, I took the picture literally a couple inches from the pavement and took the shot. I did not come out too bad, but I could have done better.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: