Tuesday, August 26, 2008

DNC 2008 - Day 1

Greetings Readers

The DNC - Democratic National Convention - that has started as of 08/25/08. I wanted to go downtown to see firsthand what's what. I am not a Democrat, but that does not mean that I am not interested nor care. I want to see perhaps a once in a lifetime event that might happen in my life.

So, after work I headed home and dropped off all my stuff, including any bike bags. I do not want to pulled over, pointed at, looked at, bothered, profiled, or what not with any sort of bag that might draw attention from the Police, S.W.A.T., FBI, CIA, undercover, snipers, etc. I decided to bring a small fanny pack and use that. Grabbed some cash and ID and biked like a motherfucker devil was chasing me down the road. I rode all the way from the South side of Denver to Downtown Denver.

I made good time and I really rode like the wind. I was pushed top speed and going 30 mph plus when I could. By the time I got down to Lincoln while I was on the Cherry Creek bike path I started to see camera flashes go off here and there. If I saw a flash I did not turn and look where it came from, just in case that is what that person wanted me to do so they could take a full face shot. I don't know.

Cherry Creek bike path traffic was pretty light all the way up to Lincoln. Most people were heading out of Denver as opposed to me heading into Denver.

I decided to get off at Colfax Ave and head East to the Capitol, but at the last second I decided to head North to the Colorado Convention Center. As soon as I turned on the street where the Convention Center is located I saw people, bike, and police. And a lot of each. By the time I got to the Convention Center area the police was enforce around the perimeter. And to my luck I was riding behind a group of McCain supporters. Which mean they were drawing attention to themselves by just being there. And with me in back, just following I could be wrongly profiled as part of the group. right?

Well, the group decided to stop at the corner and I decided I better get going before something/anything happens while in this group of protester. I head down to the front door of the Colorado Convention Center and see more police and whatnot. Across the Convention Center is a tent of the Official headquarters of gear for sale for support of the DNC. And the other thing that was just off the front entrance across the street from the Convention Center was one of the bike corrals where you can get a bike "for free"

I saw one of the volunteers of the bike corral and asked her how this works. She said that I do not need a bike since I have a bike already. I of course tell her I know that, but I am asking what if I needed a bike. Basically, pick a type of bike (I think that she said that there were four different types of bikes to choose from), leave a credit card, driver's licence and I think that was it. They provide a bike and helmet and then when you are done return the bike and then you get everything back that you left with them when you took a bike. Hence, if you take a bike and do not return they can charge you for the bike that was not returned. I think the volunteer said that there are 7 corrals around the area.

I basically was in the heart of Denver and more than a few blocks from the Pepsi Center, but had no desire to go there since I knew that I would not be able to get close, if at all.

So, I headed into Denver a bit and decided to do some biking around the street of Denver. Biking meaning casual slow biking. I wanted to see what's what. I saw police I think on almost every corner and then every other corner I saw a group of police. Each of them looking and scanning the area around them. I saw perhaps non-uniform police on the walkies or radio talking/relaying info. I heard the dispatchers talking from the radios. I saw police parked. I saw police vehicles that looked like modified golf carts.

Just as I passed the 16th street mall I was almost in the middle of S.W.A.T going somewhere. They were in a hurry and did not even bother looking where they were going. I had to make an adjustment to my biking. And believe me readers I would have said something "smart," but due to current events any "smart" remark could get me in trouble. And that is not what I wanted while down there last night.

I then turned north and then head back to the 16th street mall on another street. A photographer was riding up a one way street and right in front of me. Again, I could have done what I would have done, but due to the presence of law enforcement I sort of had to be on my best behavior. Soon, I found myself in front of Union Station.

Flashback - early in the morning on KBCO I heard that there were some people set up behind Union Station and I decided to see what was set up. I saw train cars, trailers and the MSNBC set. I stayed for a few listening to Caroline Kennedy, I think, on a TV that was apparently being transmitted from the Pepsi Center.

From there I decided to go and see how close I could get to the Pepsi Center. Not very close. If was fenced off and not by the typical chain link fence you would think that would be used. On top of that concrete barriers, police stationed and patrolling the barriers. I could see the people who had passes walking to the are who I am assuming had passes to get into the area. I do not know nor did I want to stop and ask them. Again, due to the event happening I had to be aware of my actions.

I left the area of Pepsi Center and road back into Downtown. I then decided to see if I could get to Laramar Square. I did. Not a problem. I took a few pictures of Laraimer Square and people were drinking and gathering so I am assuming that was an OK place to be at Downtown. I then headed down Lariamer Street and so turned off on the street that the Colorado Convention Center was on. I saw that same group of protesters and they were on a corner of the Colorado ballet building/center.

I soon left via Colfax avenue and decided to go over to Invesco Field. As I was crossing I-25 I looked to the North and I see the concrete barriers and two dump trucks blocking the exit ramp in the middle. I could not actually see the actual exit, but I am assuming that was well blocked off from the public. Seeing those two dump trucks reminded of GTA. I could see myself trying to ram those dump trucks, as one might do in GTA. Sounds weird, but I could actually see that happening.

By this time the sun had gone down and it was just past 8 PM and I decided that I needed to go home before dark came.

Needless to say that I did not make it and it was full dark by the time I got to Evens or so. It was kind of nice riding in the dark on the South Platte River bike trail, but also kind of scary since I could not see where I was biking nor did I know the trails condition so I had to be careful riding and not ride into dirt, sand a hole, tree limbs, or a person walking.

9:20 PM I was home. And that was the end of day 1.


P.S. My total ride mileage to and from the DNC was 53 miles. Pretty impressive that I did much biking in one evening. And the funny thing is I never even thought I did that much - at all.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: