Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Was the Waitress Rude?

Greetings Readers

Well readers, I started typing away on the day of this post, but then decided against posting on what I had written. I am not saying that I was right or wrong, but I felt it was not “right” for posting for what I had typed at that point. Though, I am not sure that there is going to be a right time for me. I am going be called, or think, a prick for what about I am going recap that transpired a few weeks ago.

My friend and I went out to lunch at an Asian restaurant. The restaurant is a nice restaurant and is not to be confused for a fast food chain. We have been going to the restaurant for over a year now and never had any real problems for me to mention to you readers. Meaning that if there was slow service one visit I have had no real problem nor had no reason to complain and voice my experience to you readers.

Yet, on this recent visit it appears that there was a new employee that was added to the staff of waitresses at the restaurant. Oh yes I noticed, but never brought to attention the new waitress to my friend. Though as many times that we have been there I am sure that my friend also noticed that there was a new waitress.

The ordering went fine and we basically ordered what we would call “the usual” since that is what we order every time we visit this restaurant. The waitress left and then my and my friend started having a conversation. A few minutes later the waitress comes back and asks my friend what type of soup did my friend order. I looked at the waitress when the waitress asked this, but I did not say anything. Meaning, that I did not say anything rude. I did not pay attention to what the waitress did or did not, write when taking our order. Actually, I can not remember if she actually wrote down our order on a ticket.

Yes readers, you know me I do speak my mind and will voice, let me say, my opinion. I also knew that I was in the company of my friend who drove us to this restaurant. So, if I wanted a ride back to where we came from I best be on my best behavior. Otherwise, I am sure that my friend has no problem making me walk back to our destination. Of course, I would never hold that against my friend, since I would be standing up for what I do when should of my friend not been there. If I see something “not right” then I will most likely voice my view, though with a friend in my presence I do tolerate… I am not sure what the right word to use… but I am going to use - rudeness.

Well, after the waitress asked my friend what soup she ordered a few minutes later she came back with our Hot Sweet and Sour soup. Very good.

I would estimate that a few minutes later our main meal was brought to our table. Me and my friend had not even finished our soup. Yet, we put our soup that we have not finished to part of the table that was near the window.

Readers, my friend and I were at a table booth that was next to the front windows of the restaurant.

With that being said, we put our soup near the window as oppose to the edge of the table that was not next to the window.

I have recreated the table set-up at the restaurant at my humble abode. And yes, I was able to use some authentic Asian design ware. Hence, that is the picture posted on today’s blog. I wanted to respect the animosity of the restaurant that my friend and I go to in case any of readers may go to the same restaurant.

I am going to state something and I think this is an unwritten rule at any restaurant. Should you, or anyone, be done with a certain dish you put the dish(es) closest to the edge of the table that the waiter/waitress addresses you (and your friend). Meaning, that you are indicating that you are done with said dish and it is okay for the waiter/waitress to take the dish from the table. And to further state that you are finish you put all trash on the dish and any silverware/plastic ware on the dish further indicating that you are done with the dish and it is okay for the waiter/waitress to pick up without asking if okay to take from the table.

Would you not agree or think that is the way things are?

Well, my friend and me were engaging in some conversation while we were eating our main meal when the waitress asked my friend for the soup dish my friend had not finished. I immediately looked at my friend and then our waitress and then back to my friend. Un fucking believable. As I stated before, we both put our soup dish near the window and not the edge of the table towards the inner part of the restaurant.

I did not say a thing to our waitress. And believe me readers it took something to hold back from me saying anything to our waitress. Granted, I am all for a clean table while eating, but asking and assuming that we would give the dish to the waitress for cleaning up the table is wrong. Though I did hold my tongue since the waitress was asking my friend and not me. Should the waitress have asked me then the story would have been so much different that what I am telling you readers. My friend immediately looked at me with raised eyebrows, but I held my tongue.

Needless to say, my friend gave up her unfinished soup, which was placed opposite side of the table that indicates that it is not okay for the waiter/waitress to take without asking.

Some times passed and it was time to leave the restaurant. I then asked our waitress for a to-go box. Immediately, I noticed that she looked at my meal saw that I had not finished my meal. She said that they did not have a to-go box that size for me to take my left over food.

What the Fuck!!?!?!?

I immediately responded I needed a to-go box and if there is a problem with my request. Who in the fuck is our waitress to determine what size or what I need for a to-go box. She gave me the stink eye, but said nothing.

Well, I got my to-go box and then our waitress left. A few minutes later our waitress comes back to our table and starts clearing off our table. She clears off my friend’s side of the table and then starts to take my plate. I immediately told her that I was not done. I get the second stink eye from her as if I was inconveniencing our waitress. This sort of scenario affected me directly and not my friend, therefore I had every right to voice what our waitress was doing.

No fucking way. I am not going to feel like I am the prick for telling her what’s what in the world. The waitress/waiter is there to serve me/us and must adhere to the “customer is always right.” And I mean that loosely since I would not condone the taking advantage of the “customer is always right” rule.

If the waitress asks for my dish to clear off the table and I am not done with my dish then sure as SHIT I am going to tell my waitress that she can not take my dish. I am the customer. I do believe in an empty table when I (and my friend) leave, but do not demand of me to make your job easier for you before I (we) left the establishment to have an empty table.

I (we) are the customer in the establishment; therefore you are offering a service to be in your restaurant. We have the right to go to another restaurant, but as I mentioned before my friend and I have been going to this restaurant for about a year and never had any issues such as the one I have just described.

That’s the story and that’s all I can state.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: