Friday, August 29, 2008

DNC 2008 - Now Over

Greetings Readers

Thursday I was going to take the whole day off, but I decided only to take half a day off. I was sort of sure that I would not need a full day to see the DNC downtown. After all, I had been to the DNC on Monday and Tuesday evening. I could have been down at the DNC on Wednesday, but Damn I was worn out. Working, riding 50 miles round trip and trying to watch a match of the US Open had taken its toll on me when I woke up on Wednesday.

By the way Readers, 50 miles is nothing for me, but when I was biking as fast as I could Downtown and then biking as fast as I could going Home in the dark I was pushing myself very hard. Even riding uphill I was out of the seat pushing the pedals hard. And not “out of anger” such as Phil and Paul would probably say.

Thursday was going to be the day, the final day, of the Democratic National Convention in Denver, Colorado. My friend and I were going to go down together, but something came up and we would not be able to go together. I thought about not going since my friend was the only reason I took the day off and was going to go down to the DNC. Yet, I remembered Monday and Tuesday and I really enjoyed being downtown and I enjoyed what I saw and experienced.

Before leaving for the DNC I had to get some cold hard cash in order to buy some souvenirs. Some Democratic souvenirs. I had seen some of the booths on Monday and Tuesday lining the streets. I did not buy any on Monday and Tuesday since I knew that I was coming down on Thursday.

The souvenirs were good, bad and ugly. The good were some of the buttons I saw, the bad was the Obama dolls and the ugly was some of the T-shirts that looked like they were drawn by pre-school children selling for 20.00 dollars. There were foam fingers, flags, banners, trading cards, posters and miscellaneous items that I could list.

Since I was going alone that meant I was not going to be walking. I could ride my bike down there. I did not have to pay for an RTD ticket round trip. I know that the cost is little, but if I do not have to spend that little money I won’t. I once more got Andrea ready and wiped clean the HED. rims.

As I was just about to leave my humble abode I was going to take the South Platte Bike path down to Downtown, but then I decided I might as well take the same way I did earlier this week – the Cherry Creek Bike path. At least I know that taking the same route I was guaranteed another 50-mile bike ride.

The Cherry Creek Bike Path was no different than the ride down to Downtown on Monday and Tuesday evening. I left the Cherry Creek Bike path at Colfax and took a picture of the Road close sign leading west. I had no clue or any destination in mind when I went Downtown on Thursday.

I rode in and around Downtown Denver. I noticed a little Law enforcement, but I think that most of them were around the Invesco Stadium. I hardly saw the mass of people in Downtown like I did on Monday and Tuesday. I think that since the gates at Invesco opened at 1 PM that is where most of them went.

I slowly biked through the streets and sidewalks of Denver with my HED. rims proudly being showed off. I rode slowly, but not too slow. I stopped at various spots downtown, but got no real picture opportunity that you Readers might enjoy. I did take a couple more pictures of the bike taxis that I was unable to get a clear picture earlier this week.

I cruised down to Union Station and that was when I saw and heard my first remark “Hey I will trade you straight up – your rims for my Mountain bike?” I looked at him smiling and said, “Um, let me take a look at your ride.” We both laughed and he could not stop looking at my bike. Soon, the light turned green and we were off. He rode off down the street while I just pedaled slowly. I soon noticed people noticing me and I thought to myself “oh yeah”

I turned down another street and then soon I heard “hey L.A.” (My faithful readers know the initials of this particular bike rider who I do not use his full name) being yelled down one of the streets. I didn’t look at who yelled since this sort of comment yelling is nothing knew at me. As I crossed the intersection I then hear “Oh cool – Southpark.” Respect.

I soon crossed another street and then I saw about 10 police horses with a couple of the horses with clear plastic face guards. I soon found myself at the Brown Palace and felt that my back tire was going flat. Damn. And of all places to get a flat tire. Why? Well Readers the Brown Palace is a famous hotel and a place where famous people stay at in Denver. With that in mind there was a police presence and some people who looked like security officers from some outfit on patrol. I could of stop right there, but I had to ride at least a block or so away from the Brown Palace.

Again, more so for myself, since I do not want to draw anyone’s attention to me.

Ten minutes later I was up and riding. I headed to Civic Center Park, but the entire area was fenced off by chain link fences. There was some police patrolling, but other than that everything was quiet. By this time I decided it was time to go to Invesco. Later I found out that the fence was put up to prepare for the Taste of Colorado this Labor Day weekend and not to keep out the protesters from Civic Center Park.

I found myself on Colfax and headed west. Colfax was empty. Police cars were here and there. The police were also patrolling under the bridges. People were walking and biking since no one could drive on this portion of Colfax. I decided to take some pictures of me biking in the middle of Colfax void of any cars. I also took some pictures of I-25 from Colfax. I could see the Orange Snow Dump Trucks on I-25 as well as police cars patrolling I-25 slowly.

I saw that there was a make shift bike corral on the Southwest side of Invesco. As well as a platoon of police with heavy duty looking guns. I decided to head North on Federal Blvd. That is were things got lively. Cameras, vendors, people, heavy vehicle traffic, and everything else you cannot imagine. Businesses that line Invesco were selling their parking lot spaces for 60.00 to 80.00 dollars to park. I could not fucking believe that!

Also, Denver Dept of Public Works were handing out bottles of water for free. And let me tell you readers there were cartons and cartons of water along the streets near Invesco. The Dept of Pubic Works had their trucks driving around Invesco handing out water from the back of the truck. I want to say that the free water was donated by Wal-Mart, which meant a lot to me. Something small perhaps, but for Wal-mart to donate all the water, and Readers I saw a lot of water, I was amazed. Oh, I asked a group of Dept of Public Workers some questions and also for a couple of pictures – as long as it was okay. And that is where I learned that all the water was donated by Wal-mart.

Now, why I mentioned the free water was that there was a booth that was selling Obama water. Obama water? Officially bottled, sweet tasting and something else I cannot remember that made Obama water worth $ 10.00 dollars a bottle. I knew I should have taken a picture, but I guess I was shaking my head in disbelief on what things people were selling. I think I was still in disbelief of the $ 60.00 and $ 80.00 dollars parking

I soon found myself North of Invesco and nearby a bridge that crossed I-25.

“Damn Homey”

Soon, I was being eyeballed by a young guy with his hat turned crooked on his head, his wrist wrapped with a bandanna and has a white tank top showing off his muscles on a bmx dirt bike. Two seconds later about 10 other people (his crew?) were eyeing my bike and me. Or perhaps my bike and not me.

I rode slowly and confidently by them and then stopped on the bridge. I smiled and nodded my head as if saying thank you. Then, I took some pictures of I-25 and the blockade towards Invesco. A pretty impressive view. And no Readers, I was not worried about being jumped since the police presence was stationed at the ramps entrance and exits. I also had the K-9 presence going for me. Any other time I would not be stopping to take any pictures and if I saw anyone looking like that guy looking at me and said those same exact words I would ride like the wind blows on the plains of Wyoming. Hard, fast and easterly.

By this time I had almost made a complete circle of Invesco. I only had the South Platte Bike path to go on and I was not sure if that was open or if the section near Invesco was closed off.

I noticed that there was one helicopter flying / patrolling around Invesco. I did not see any vapor trails from any planes. I did not see any other Helicopters in the area. When I noticed this I was sort of reminded of the days after 9-11. No planes in the sky, only the occasional jet engine whining overhead patrolling the skies of America. This time there was only the sound of the Helicopter doing circles overhead the skies of Denver.

With sunset coming I decided that I would take the final pictures of Invesco in various shots with different lighting (shutter/aperture speed). I heard the megaphone of some protesters that were on the east side of Invesco. I also saw a lot of police with binoculars looking at that, which I was sort of near. No way was I going to stick around. I then headed south and then that is where I ran into the RTD buses. I think I ran into all of the RTD buses in Denver. I could not believe how many buses were lined up – waiting for the speech to end and bus the people to various lots.


I tried taking a picture of the all the RTD buses, but I could not get the shot that showed the number of RTD buses lined up. I guess you can count the white tops of the buses since that is about how you can see that there were a lot of buses waiting.One street further I saw a convey. Police cars, Police Motorcycles, Ambulance, Black Suburban vehicles and bus getting onto I-25. I can only presume that was might have been Obama’s convoy.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: