Friday, August 22, 2008

West Nile Virus Coming Again ?

Greetings Readers

Those damn flying gnats. Or perhaps they are damn mosquitoes. I also can hear the bugs making noise in the trees. I see grasshoppers. I can hear the frogs and other things that make sounds outside my humble nearby the running creek.

I had not realized that I did not miss these bugs when we had the 23 days of basically a heat wave (90 degrees plus). Matter of fact, I never even noticed that the bugs have not been around. Since Denver has not had any rain for about two months I do not think that the conditions have been right for the Mosquitoes to come out of the ponds, puddles and standing pools of water.

Last year, I remember hearing in the news – West Nile Vile. And many towns north of Denver where actually were spraying for mosquitoes. You Readers who do not reside in Colorado we did have a big problem with West Nile Virus last year.

Matter of fact, I was a bit worried about West Nile Virus. I did not want any mosquito sticking its needlelike funnel mouth into any part of my body. I did not want to bike ride in a certain area of Colorado. I was very cautious when ever I saw a dead bird in the street or on the route that I was biking on. And let me tell you readers there were a lot of dead birds that I saw on the road and sidewalks on the South side of Denver.

Dead birds you ask yourself. Readers, I saw on TV that if there are dead birds most likely they died from West Nile Virus infection. I only listen to that one news bit, but never followed up on hearing that news. Meaning, how many bites from a Mosquito did it take? How long did the bird take to die from West Nile Virus? And any other questions I did not think of at that time.

People were actually encourage to call Department of Health for any dead birds so they can do an autopsy, so to speak, for West Nile Virus infection.

All this summer I am glad that the one thing that I am seeing on the road are flatten squirrels and rabbits. And there have been a lot of flatten squirrels and rabbits. In case any of you readers wonder what I mean by “flatten” is that the animal got run over a vehicle.

Looking back on last year it is funny now, but it was not funny a year ago. Any time that I was outside and I thought I felt or did feel something land on my skin I move hand so quick to slap the area that I felt, or thought I felt, that some bug landed on my skin. I took no chances and I was sure quick about slapping any part of my skin I felt or thought I felt something land.

Now, this year so far I have not heard any West Nile Virus infection or outbreak. And this may be due to no rain and the hot, hot weather. Or perhaps the spraying from last year helped for mosquito control this year. Though I would not have a clue if that were even possible.

Now, with the all the rain that we have had in the past week the bugs are out, the trees and grass are green, and my allergies have started once more. Yet, when I got a face full of flying gnats, I hope, I quickly brushed my face clean and rode fast through that part of the area. Readers, when I got a face full of something flying I immediately thought Mosquitoes and West Nile Virus. As soon as I rode clear of that little area I started slapping my legs and arms and brushing my bike jersey and bike shorts free of anything that might have landed / flew on me.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: