Thursday, July 31, 2008

Yo - That is One Pimped out Bike...

Greetings Readers

It has been forever and ever, but I guess it is time for another quote.

"Yo. That is one pimped out bike you got!"
"That is a tricked out bike dude"

Let me tell you readers - comments like that make the 1665.00 bones I spent all so worth the cost. Those two comments were from two teenage boys (age 14+) riding their BMX bikes the other day. Of course their bikes had mag rim (are they still called that?), posts on the back tires so someone can stand on them while the bike rider pedals away and a nice color scheme.

Yet, I casually roll up to them and pass the rider who said that my bike was "Pimped out" and then the other boy in front of us looked back and I soon passed him and that's when he said "tricked out."

I am telling you that's all it takes for me to be happy all day. Matter of fact, I was happy all day that I treated myself to lunch at Chili's and then an afternoon Mocha Frapaccino with whipped cream.

Last week a lady said "Pretty" to me. I make most of the walkers, runners and other bikers turn their heads to look at me, well my rims. Shallow. Oh yes. But I am taking it all in. I am loving the attention I am getting with my HED rims.

Sometimes, I acknowledge the other riders, and should someone say something to me...

Oh oh oh, I have stop wearing my earphones while riding Andrea and the new HED rims. I want to hear all the comments I know that I am going to get while I am showing off my rims. I can not actually believe that I am not wearing any earphones while riding anymore. There is not a day that goes by that I do not get a comment about my bike.

Yes, you heard that right. I am showing off my rims as much as I can. As long as it keeps me happy then I am going to continue to so until Fall/Winter when I am not going to be showing off the rims until the following year.

Speaking of showing off. I take a long route to work (or more to the point, I try to figure out the longest out of the way route to work, but not too out of the way route to work). I take the long route home. I go out of my way to show off my rims to as many people I can. I do a lap or two laps in the two strip malls nearby where I live by riding slow. I look at my reflection in the business windows and see two, as my ex-co-worker would say, "just so awesome" rims and my stellar thighs being reflected at me. Ha Ha. I see what people see when they see me.

What's even better (or sad) is I try to catch red lights so I can stop and people can see and talk to me from the vehicles about my rims. I am all for not running yellow lights. Who knew that I would make it a point to stop at stoplights as opposed to riding as fast as possible so I would not get a red light. Matter of fact, I could be a "poster biker" for all about stopping at red lights should there ever be an advertising campaign.

Which leads me into the next segue way - speed. I am riding ever so casually. I am going below the average speed. The reason is that so everyone can get a look at my rims. That's it. No other reason for going slow. Well, I did go fast the other weekend, but that was because I wanted to see how fast I could go and also wanted to show off that since I have those rims I should be going faster than anyone else. My road bike is being treated like a beach cruiser, since that is what I am doing - cruising.

About 90 percent of the bikers are passing/riding me by and I have no desire to catch up or speed up. Or should any bikers be biking in the opposite direction I can see them turning their heads at me to see me and my rim. Well, perhaps not me, but my rims. I love the long head turn or the fast crank of their head to see me and my rims before it is too late. Sometimes, I acknowledge the look of the rider. Other times I can see them looking at me and my rims from the corner of my eye, but without giving an indication that I see them looking at me.

In my opinion, I am getting more than what I thought I would get out of the rims. I bought the rims for how much they cost, but also for the way they look and the carbon fiber in the rims. I was also hoping to get the looks/comments from the serious cyclist, which I am. But more importantly, to me, is that I am getting comments from non-riders, casual commuters, RTD riders (yep, I ride slowly through the RTD passenger zone when I can), grocery shoppers and people waiting for the green light at stoplights.

I do desire attention and now I am getting the attention. Do I deserve the attention? Who knows, but I am enjoying the attention.

The only drawback is that I have to take off the HED rims at work since I am afraid of leaving them locked up at the bike rack in the underground garage. Or if I am out riding I can not make any stops anywhere since I am afraid to leave the bike chained up and perhaps someone stealing the rims. I do live and work in the nice area of the surrounding suburbs of Denver, but I am still very, very cautious. Also, no need to tempt someone with my rims.

until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: