Wednesday, August 27, 2008

DNC 2008 - Day 2

Greetings Readers

As the title for the Post today reads this was Day Two of the DNC (Democratic National Convention) in Denver, Colorado. Today, I was able to tell most of my friends of my experience and what I saw in Downtown Denver on the first official day of the DNC on Monday. I showed everyone who cared to see some of the pictures I took.

I also told them that I was careful of what I was taking pictures of and how I acted in the vicinity of the Law enforcement that were stationed and mobile in and around the Downtown area. And yes readers, I told my friends I was on my best behavior so I would not draw any unnecessary attention to myself. Worse yet, I did not want to be put into a holding pen for people being arrested and/or confirmation that you are who say you are. Apparently from what was told to me was that there was a tent that held make shift corrals that would hold arrested people for processing and holding,

Anyway, after telling most of my friends today of what I saw yesterday I decided that if there was no chance of any heavy rain showers in the afternoon I was going to bike down to Downtown Denver once more and also to Civic Center Park to see what’s what.

So, as 4 PM came and went I looked out the window and the skies looked ok, in a manner of speaking. I was not able to leave early like I did the day before, but I was still going to go even leaving later than the day before. I rode home fast and had everything ready to go from this morning. I grabbed two half frozen water bottles I made the night before I went to sleep last night and added cold water to fill the water bottle to the top.

I wanted to take the shortest route to bike that I thought would be the best to take to Downtown Denver, but then I decided to take the same route the day before. I knew the path and I now know the terrain. Plus, I knew that I would be able to get over 50 miles in a round trip bike ride.

Traffic all along the Cherry Creek bike path was pretty sparse compared to the day before. And this time I did not have to go slow since I had taken the pictures that I wanted the day before. I also decided to get off at the Colfax exit and head to the State Capitol and Civic Center Park.

Flashback – before leaving for the DNC in Downtown Denver I decided to call my parents and see what they know or seen on TV from the New Mexico TV stations broadcasting. My mom said that they showed “stuff” from inside the Convention Center and the Protesters, but overall they are not showing Denver in general. When my mom says that she means the Democratic National Coverage who are filming the DNC in Denver.

Back to the present – I decided to show you readers Denver from different views from my digital camera. I want you Readers to see Denver and not see just what is being shown on TV. Which I can only assume is coverage from inside the Pepsi Center and command centers located near the Pepsi Center.

I think I have “dished” Denver in the past about how Denver is not a true city, but a residential city. And I still support my view on that. However, I wanted to show you Readers on this post that Denver is a pretty city and if any of the news coverage would film Denver from different locations in Denver they can show that Denver is much more than what the DNC is being broadcast on National TV.

Sorry readers, I have not seen what is being broadcast on TV, but I can assume that what my mother said is what is being shown all over the United States is basically nothing. I am interested in what is being broadcast, but with the US Open in progress Tennis is my number one priority. Everything else is second to the US Open. This is one event that I look to every year and this one event that I actually make it a point to buy merchandise from the US Open Shop.

As I got near the Civic Center Park I could see and smell the protesters. Smell meaning that I could smell the BO of the hippies and what not. I was about 20 yards away from the actual protesters, but the odor was noticeable from 20 yards away. I stink from time to time, but not like the BO that I smelled yesterday. So, with that I stayed on the perimeter of Civic Center park for the most part and then I was able to get close where no one was really around that part of Civic Center park.

I just did not want to smell that strong B.O. There was a group, a rap group, which was performing in Civic Center Park. They sounded nice, but I only listened for a couple minutes before leaving for the State Capitol. I wanted a shot of Civic Center Park and all the people (protesters) from the State Capitol. Yet, when I got to the State Capitol and looked towards Civic Center Park I could not see the people in mass on the South side of Civic Center Park. I took a few pictures that showed the view from the State Capitol looking west. I think that the pictures came out pretty good.

After a bit I decided to skate (ride) just East of Downtown Denver and see how much law enforcement was present around the perimeter of Downtown. Not very much as opposed to Downtown Denver itself. I did see another bike corral at the “Cash Register” building. It was a small bike corral compared to the two corrals I saw the day before. I talked with the person handling the corral. They explained what was explained to me yesterday, but I pretended that I did not know how the bike corral worked.

I soon left and headed North on Lincoln and I think I turned West on 18th and then headed Northwest on 18th all the way to Union Station once more. I had no urge to go to Union Station, but it was on the street that I was taking and that is where I eventually ended up.

I soon found myself at the MSNBC set up and that was when I heard “nice rims.” Oh yeah. I said, “thank you very much” and posed for my picture that was taken by him. I then took a picture of a trailer and truck that was parked right across the street that had some spray painted words on the trailer.

I noticed it was just past 8:00 PM and I knew that the time to go home was here. I knew that I was not going to take Cherry Creek Bike path home and that I was going to take the same route home yesterday which was the South Platte bike trail home. This time I was going to go to the Millennium Bridge and see if I was going to be able to take the South Platte trail home. I say this since the South Platte Trail does come kind of close to the Pepsi Center, which means I was not sure that if the South Platte Trail was closed off. Yesterday, I had took Colfax across I-25 and then eventually got onto the South Platte Bike Trail with no problems.

Well, the return trip along the South Platte was faster since I sort of knew the path from the day before. Nothing to report really, except I did not see any bikers riding towards Denver and I did not see any walkers on the bike path like I did the day before. And as I went past the "new" Mile High Stadium I saw two searchlights panning over the stadium. You can see that white dot of light on the top part of the stadium..

Overall, I did 50.34 miles yesterday to and from the DNC. Not bad at all. Basically, one hundred and five miles in two days time. And you know what Readers? I am handling the bike rides like any training bike ride – no problem at all.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: