Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Colorado Rockies are Still Here.



Greetings Readers

I was in the grocery store this morning and a couple of people asked me if it was too slick to ride out there. Meaning, were the roads slick. I said no. I do have racing tires on, but that is really nothing to worry about. Why? Well, most of the roads that I ride on are either asphalt or pavement. However, there are a few places on the road that are made out of concrete. Concrete and my racing tires are not a nice match. Often times, I slow down when I have to make a turn on concrete,

Oops, readers I am going off topic on what I wanted to write about. No, slipping on the roads is the least of my concerns. What is my concern that when it is raining the water that is all over the road more often than not hides holes in the roads.

Meaning, that any pools of water could be hiding a hole in the road. And a deep hole at that. Hidden holes are a concern since I have bent a couple of rims while riding the rain. Sometimes when the rain is washing/running down the street gutters of the street the water hides any lips that may or may not be there in between the sidewalk and road.

Well, I was happy that I got out this morning to ride. No waking up to rain like yesterday and raining for about 6 hours straight. Since the roads were semi-dry and there was no rain I decided to take out Andrea and the HED. rims. There were small patches of sky that were almost visible. Not clear sky, but almost.

I could not go to King Soopers since there is no “real” cashier until 8 AM or so. Otherwise, shoppers are forced to use the automated do it yourself check out. And as I have posted in the past I am not going to do my own check out. Fuck that. I decided to go to Safeway. I got to Safeway just a bit past 7 AM. The story is closed. What the fuck. Alright. I was a bit miffed, but that meant that I got to ride further and show off my bike and HED. rims. Albertson’s was the next and only store that I was going to go to this morning.

Thank goodness for Albertson’s. After my trying to find a grocery store excursion I decided do a few laps in the Greenwood Village DTC area – mainly around Fiddler’s Green. I did some slow riding and just enjoying being out on a bike without all the rain that had falling in the past 48 hours. Streets were clear, semi dry and the world had yet to wake up in my part of the city.

No traffic on Arapahoe Road and you can see that from the two pictures that I took – on shot towards the East and the other to the west. Oh yes readers, I was riding in the middle of the road as if I owned this piece of Arapahoe Road. No gutter riding this morning. Actually, I never ride the gutter on Arapahoe Road – too congested and too dangerous for me to consider riding in the gutter. This is something I know from experience and I am not going to tempt anyone. Arapahoe Road is mine early mornings on the weekends and it is sidewalk riding any other time along Arapahoe Road.

Since there was rain basically all day I had to take out Tracey (my rain/snow bike). This was the second day that I had to ride her. Why? Well, I am not going to take any other bike out into the rain. I want my other bikes to be rain free. I just have a bike designated for rain riding; therefore I am doing damage to one bike. Also, I have only one bike to clean up after riding in the rain.

Yesterday was the second day that I had to wear my long sleeve jersey and the first time that I had to wear my long legged bike pants since early this year. Friday was also the first time since last winter that I had to wear the Orange lens for M Frame Oakleys. Since there was no sun, there is no sense of wearing tinted lens. Though Saturday, I went back to the tinted lens since the sun and semi-clear skies came out for the first time since three days ago. The sun and semi-clear skies lasted for about 2 hours, but I took advantage of those two hours.

Well readers, I was put on the wait-list for Obama. I was disappointed, but then I forgot I was not doing this for myself, but my friend. At least I signed up for tickets for my friend and tried to get tickets so my friend had better odds for getting a ticket to Obama’s speech at Invesco when the DNC happens at the end of the month.

Now, time for Olympics. I was on the bus the other day and out of the blue was asked about the Olympics. Wow. That was the reason that I was taking the bus I was watching women’s Volleyball and was watching as long as I dared to, but knowing that I had to get to work as soon as possible. Pretty soon other passengers were joining in the conversation.

For the past week this type of behavior has not been uncommon. At work, at the stores and your friends are talking about the Olympics. Granted, most of my friends are talking about the events on TV, but I am talking about the events that I see on MSNBC, CNBC and USA networks. I only have watched an hour, if that, of channel 9 coverage of the Olympics.

Why? Well, channel 9 is bias. And this is speculation since I have not watched channel 9. I think they are only showing, gymnastics, swimming, basketball and beach volleyball and focusing on the United States only. Granted, I am for the United States, but we as a whole have to root for all and not be bias against all other countries besides the U.S. I think that it takes channel 9 to show an event that lasts 3 to 6 minutes about 30 minutes to an hour. You probably get some interview, then some segment of that athlete, then the sport announcer(s) opinion and then finally the event. Whereas the other channel have none of that bullshit stuff. Once an event gets done then it coverage of another event.

There are other events which I have mentioned. Sculls, Archery, Traps, Kayak, Badminton, Table Tennis, Tennis, 20k Speed walking, field hockey, soccer, boxing, women’s weight lifting, indoor cycling, visage (sorry readers on the spelling, but it is the event where it is a horse and rider and riding around in an arena), and so on. All these events are the Olympics and whether it is Cuba vs. Netherlands, China versus Korea. I have to say it is exciting to see.

Yet, it is also sad to see that there must be a loser. I have seen the crushing defeats that have brought a tear to my eye since they have tears for being eliminated from the Olympics. I have seen the underdog win. I have seen the highest rank player(s) win at the event that they are suppose to. That is the Olympics. The Olympics are not just about the United States competing

I have stayed away from the US Basketball, Michael Phelps, Mays & Walsh and women’s gymnastics.


In closing, as the post title states - I saw the Colorado Rockies for the first time in 3 days.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: