Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Indoor Volleyball at the Olympics

Greetings Readers

When I got home last night, I was better, but still exhausted. Since I threw away all my food that I prepared in the past few days I know I needed to wash every dish and sanitize the entire kitchen. Why? Better safe than sorry. Meaning, I would hate for what happened, happen again. Shame on me once, but twice. I sprayed and wipe down everything in the kitchen with a multi-purpose spray. Meanwhile, I had the dishwasher going. When I finished the wiping down I let the surfaces dry. 15 minutes later I got the Pine-Sol and made the kitchen smell clean. Not to mention I disinfected the entire kitchen, including the kitchen floor.

I woke up to indoor volleyball – Cuba vs. China. Wow. Considering that Cuba demolished the United States the previous day or two ago I was stunned that China was demolishing Cuba. 25-18 and then 25-14. China was two sets up and the time was about 7:30 AM MST and I had to leave for work.

I kept hearing and seeing Wang YiMei. This particular Chinese player was playing the left side of the court and is a 6’3” foot player with a spectacular “kill” hit into the opponent’s court. I knew nothing of China’s volleyball team before what I started watch, but after 5 minutes or so I knew the team. There is the number one server in the world, according to the announcer – and she was fucking phenomenal on her serving. Ace after ace.

Flashback – I saw bits and pieces of the Cuba vs. United States match and witnessed the discrimination Cuba handed the United States Volleyball team. Not to mention when I got to work I heard that our United States Indoor Volleyball team got beat – and an ugly kind of beating.

Back to current – I was not rooting for China to beat Cuba for Cuba beating the United States the previous day, but I was cheering and yelling for China to beat Cuba since I saw that China had opened a can of Whoop-Ass on Cuba.

As I mentioned I was watching this match closely, but was running out of time before I was expected to be at work. I left when China was leading and about to close out the third set. Believe me readers I did not want to leave, but I had to.

I told my friends what I watched this morning.

Noon arrived and that was when I checked on the results.

Cuba won. I could not believe what I saw. China had the match in hand.

Was it my fault for leaving for work before the third set was finished? Was it my fault for not supporting the China Volleyball team 100 percent? With me leaving for work was it my fault for China not winning the match up?

I am not for China to win, but I was for China at the time since China was the team that was playing like the number one team in the world against Cuba. Cuba was losing, but I was not rooting for China for Cuba beating up on United States. I cheer for the player/team that is showing me what they brought, which is hopefully their “A” game.

I was stunned that China lost. Oh well, if Cuba was ranked higher then it was Cuba that deserved to win the match-up,

Changing subjects

Hooligan. By Webster’s definition – A Ruffian or hoodlum. Or should you look under Hoodlum – a thug or a rowdy, destructive child or adolescent. Or if you look under Ruffian – a tough lawless person; a brutal bully.

I was basically categorized a “Hooligan.” Meaning, I am a one of many cyclists that wears Lycra/Spandex and basically passes every bike rider on any bike path in the Denver Metro Area – because I can.

Should I be labelled a Hooligan for just sporting Lycra? Should my Hooligan status be further supported because my bike(s) has carbon fiber? Apparently, by those two points I am a Hooligan.

I wear Lycra because I can afford and wear Lycra. I do not wear Lycra for the sakes of wearing Lycra (well I do tend to think I look good in Lycra). I do not wear Lycra, because of that person with the initials L.A. No fucking way.

I have Carbon Fiber because I can afford Carbon Fiber. Not to mention it is desired among us serious cyclists.

Sure, I look down on other riders that do not have carbon fiber in their bike. I look down on riders that do not appear to be wearing expensive bike clothing. And I have posted many times the way I feel about those subject, especially clothing. Yet, by no means do I label or categorize any bike rider who does not have Carbon fiber or Lycra.

Applying a label is basically profiling. Matter of fact - is it discrimination. Which made me think - this person labeled a certain look of a rider a Hooligan for wearing Lycra and having Carbon Fiber. It leads me to think perhaps that there are deeper issues that we readers are not aware of. Perhaps racial discrimination? I do not know.

It is sad for any person to assume that every bike rider he/she encounters should be labeled a Hooligan for just sporting Lycra and having Carbon Fiber in his/her bike.

I have been called a mother fucker, fucker, asshole, son of a bitch, dipshit, shithead, dick, dickhead and so forth. There have been too many names for me to care that much.

Those bad words are just names. I am perfectly okay with name calling since that is what it is – just bad words being said. I am no saint myself – I have said those same words at one point before.

Yet, indirectly I was labeled a Hooligan. I was not offended at the time I read that, but later I became somewhat bothered by being categorized. I was a Hooligan by that person’s definition.

As of today I am not sure if Hooligan fits me though, by that person’s definition. By Webster’s definition I know that I am not a child (though act like one from time to time), or an adolescent. I am not a bully, and I am not a tough lawless person (though I act like a tough son of a bitch from time to time).


In closing, I may be labeled a Hooligan, but I now know the true definition of the word and know that technically this word could not be applied to me.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete,

No comments: