Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Dogs "stolen"

Greetings People

I was thinking about the dogs that were "stolen" back in January from a family that were showing/using the dogs (Border Collies) in the National Western Stock Show here in Denver, Colorado. Anyway, there was a big hoopla and the dogs were "stolen" from a hotel along with their truck. I am not sure how I thought, remembered, about this, but does not matter. Last night, I did the research on this old news from www.rockymountainnews.com I found three articles regarding the subject. The first was the initial story about the dogs "stolen". Then, the other two articles were the day after the "stolen" dogs were recovered along with the truck somewhere else (basically the same story)

When I first heard this story back in January I was kind of irked at FOX31 TV and the newspaper for not reporting the true facts of the story nor doing the true reporting of a reporter should do.

Readers, we are entitled to the full story of the news and not just the good or bad side of the story. So, let us take the writer of the article that wrote the article I read - Hector G. Hector did an article and the story was pretty okay. I am not going to reiterate, quote, what he wrote so I will not give you readers a bias view. However, that is not going to matter since you will read this blog first before reading the article first, if at all. If you do, please go to the link for rocky mountain news and then in the search field type in "dogs stolen" and then you should get choices to choose from.

The news (Channel 31) and Rocky Mountain News reported that the dogs were "Stolen" along with truck that warming up in the cold morning of January outside the Ramada Plaza where Jim and Patti Chant were staying in town for the National Western Stock Show, per Hector Gutierrez article.

First of all, we readers are entitled to the truth of this story. Jim & Patti Chant's truck was stolen, along with the dogs in the back(bed) of the truck. Nothing I read was indicated that if the dog's kennels were covered with a tarp or if the kennels were in full view. I do not know. The article reported that the Chant's were warming up their truck outside their hotel room.

Readers, this is where I am going to jump from point to point since I have no clear line of thinking of how to incorporate my thoughts smoothly.

I lied readers - here is quote that starts off my thoughts - "They treasured the collies like children" in Hector's article. If this is the case. Why did they leave the "children" in the cold with the truck's exhaust fuming into the back of the truck? Do we readers leave our children, if we have children, in the car while it is warming up? No! First, in this day of age, leaving children in the car will get you in trouble with the law. Two, it is just wrong to leave children in the car. Yes, carbon monoxide will be inhaled. I know not of how much or how deadly - regarding Carbon monoxide poisoning is happening, but yes it is happening and not healthy at all. Was the wind blowing that morning? If not, then the exhaust was going directly into the back of the truck. If the wind was blowing-which way? How long was the truck warming up before the truck was stolen? I do not know. I am not going to check the almanac of the weather that day, but I imagine that the truck was warming up for five minutes plus. Does this matter? Again, I am not sure, but I am pointing out this thought for you readers. The Hotel - did the four dogs stay in the hotel room with the Chant's? If so, was that okay or against the Hotel policy regarding pets in the room. I do not know since I have not stayed at a Ramada Hotel that I can remember. If the dogs were not in the hotel room with them - then where were the dogs? Did the Chant's leave them in the truck? I am betting the night was very, very cold since the Chant's were warming up the truck. If the dogs did stay in the back of the truck was there a tarp covering the two kennels? I understand that the Chant's are from Wyoming. It is common sense not to leave a vehicle running unattended in any city. Or a "big" city. The Chant's may live in a town or not a town at all, but I am sure they know, sure as shit, when going to any "city" they must take extra care since "big" city is definitely different from living in a town or not. In closing, going back to the quote that started this paragraph "they treasured the collies like children" If the dogs were in the Hotel room, should they have loaded the four dogs last since that is something all parents would do? Why did they load them first? Because that was convenient for them? I do not know.

You see readers - it comes down to the truck was stolen and not the dogs. Do not make a bigger, sad story of someones neglect. Yes - neglect! So, when I heard/read this story on the news back in January my thoughts were not feeling for this couple's loss of the dogs. It was how the dogs were "stolen" from them. I kind of feel good about writing this out and perhaps I may send a copy of this blog to Hector Gutierrez unless you readers do it first. hah hah.

Oh, sorry readers I forgot about the outcome of the news - the "stolen" dogs were recovered along with the truck.

until the next time readers

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: