Friday, January 18, 2008

The Australian Open 2008 - Day 5


Greetings Readers

Man oh man. I "conked out" early this morning while watching the start of the Roddick vs. Philipp Kohlschreiber (Pictured on today's post), but awoke in the third set. Wow. Two hours of sleep in the past 48 hours - the sand man showed up while I was on the couch.

I woke up to some pretty entertaining play of tennis. I am not going to say it was great, but the ambiance of the crowd, this Philipp guy I know nothing about, and of course Roddick, which you faithful readers know my opinion of.

Then, the match really began. There was Roddick talking loudly to the chair Umpire something like "Did you not here that?! Do you want to me to send you an email or a fax?!" Then, more was said by Roddick, but I did not listen. I was smiling.

The Fourth set came and went and that brought the fifth set and I had to go to work. I left the house about 7:30 AM (MST Zone), which is 1:30AM (18 hours ahead of MST) for Australia. Urgh. I tried to get to work as quickly as possible and then I came in at the last game in the set. Oh yeah. Roddick got his walking papers, as well as Jimmy Connors.

This was not a fantastic game, but the way the game was going on it was a pleasure to watch. This Philipp gut - I know not. He has made my Friday. I can not say "stoic" from Philipp, but I would say "remarkable" play. He gave Roddick the "boot" from the Australian Open and that's all I wanted from anyone to do to Roddick and Connors.

Unfortunately, Nadal and Sharapova (yet Maria is showing better play than last year) advanced

But - Youzhny, Gasquet, Davydenko, Jankovic, Vaidisova, Dementieva and Henin - advanced - Woo Hoo!

Mauresmo (too bad) - Eliminated.

Once again a Heat Wave! Woo Hoo! Englewood, CO is up to 24 degrees! I can not believe it?! I went out this morning and I was not cold. I was warm. I actually did not have to put on gloves or a stocking cap.

The past few days were very, very cold. Ice box cold. You know that beer from New Belgium Ale - 2 Below, well I grabbed some bottles from the refrigerator and put outside on my balcony. In 15 minutes when I opened the bottle it literally got icy inside the bottle. Yummy and cold.

I had to walk home last night so let me tell you readers on how cold it was. I was cold and getting colder as I walked. I looked at a couple of bank electronic signs (you know the ones that tell you the time and temp) well I saw 7 degrees on one then on another I saw 9 degrees. I was feeling that cold.

At least I was still able to think. I decided - fuck dinner - I am going to have Kung Pao from the restaurant that is sort of located near the place I reside. I decided on Kung Pao Combination (Desired) - to go. A few minutes later I got my dinner. Oh, the reason why was I decided to get Kung Pao was that word just entered my mind - Kung Pao. But the second reason, I wanted to put that Kung Pao order inside my coat. Damn straight I was going to use the warmth of my dinner to get and keep me warm on the rest of the way home.

Oh yes. I was warm. And the warm feeling spread out the entire area of my chest. Then, as a bonus I started to smell the aroma of my Kung Pao Dinner wafting up from my collar area. Wow. I was warm and smelling my delicious Kung Pao Dinner. The entire walk home I was not cold nor did I even think about how cold it was. I was warm. I had a dinner to look forward to. I had the Australian Open to watch. I had another 2 below beer waiting for me when I got home. Priceless.

I think what I did is funny, but also I could see myself standing on a street grate trying to get warm too. You know readers - like those homeless people do. Perhaps the homeless know what I just found out, should they have money to do what I did. I do not know.

I thought to take a break from the topic of cycling today.

P.S. Readers - I bought another Ipod (Gray) from the work classifieds and it is an Ipod Shuffle. Brand new, never open. I just wanted it. Pretty sad - 4 Ipods in less than a year. I got a bargain - $ 60.00 dollars. I think I will use this for running. Name Brand Wh-re, I am.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: