Saturday, October 27, 2007

Autumn Leaves - Pretty & Dangerous


Greetings Readers

Let me pick up with the Autumn leaves once more. Those Damn Autumn Fallen leaves that are precarious to me and hopefully to other bike riders as well. As I mentioned in a previous posting I hate the Autumn leaves for various reasons. And I am going to continue my views on the Autumn leaves.

This post could be a Part Two, but does it really matter? No. As Colorado enters into the Fall season and leaves are falling from the trees, someone shakes the tree or even if the wind blows the leaves will fall to the ground.

Now, after the first rain or snow storm when there are fallen leaves are a plenty on the ground; the leaves get wet and start sticking to each other. When I go bike riding and I try my first turn, whether turning left or right, I have to be careful not to slide on the leaves and go horizontal. Yes readers, those same gorgeous Autumns leaves that hide objects are now a nice slippery patch on the road. I have had my tires lose traction more than my fair share on those flat, wet patches of leaves. Not to mention going down once or twice in my lustrous biking career all due to those Autumn leaves

After the second rain/snow storm or so the fall foliage is usually washed down into the gutter drains. Once more I am able to ride like the wind on the concrete road, I call “my life.”

The End. Not much of a part Two, but I thought I would blog about since Colorado had our first good snow this past Sunday and the days following the snow melting I have been trying to avoid the wet patches of leaves here and there.

Now, going back even further in my blog than the subject I just mentioned. Turning. A few months ago I went horizontal with my brand new bike I purchased this year. I was a bit nervous, wounded and shook up after this particular crash. My new bike had the original tires that were on the bike and I basically I did not look at the tires. I thought the tires were okay, nothing special to check out for myself. Yet, I forgot I purchased a road bike that was built for speed. She is not like any of my other bikes, which are built for distance and different situations, and include a third chain ring, the ever so named “Granny gear”

The tires have two thin treads at the 45 degree angles from the top (where the tire is in contact with the road). Otherwise, the tire has no tread. When I took a fall I think I went beyond the tire tread and that was that. Boom – I had a great fall.

Getting to the “Turning” once more, I think, I am still a bit cautious on turning at a steep incline. I am riding on the other bikes with my trusted Michelin tires I buy. I have the tires pumped to the pressure I ride at, but yet I am a bit afraid to go at a lower incline into corners. I know this is nothing big, but when I find myself applying the brakes a bit and slowing down, then I have an issue. Not necessarily a problem, but an issue.

I do not know what it is going to take to get over this little fear, but I will. Worry not reader. I thought to share since I noticed this “little thing” in the past two weeks.

Pictured today on today’s post is the “bike trail” I left on the sidewalk on my way to the store on Sunday morning. Of course, I was the only one out on the bike Sunday morning. I saw this as a picture moment while going to the store and thought to myself this does look like a good place to take the picture of the day.

Today is Game 3 of the World Series in Denver, Colorado at Coors Field.

Nip / Tuck - In three days! Oh, I am getting excited. I have to buy my customary bottle of wine so I can drink and enjoy my show while having some wine.

I do not know what else to write.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: