Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A Suicide in Denver - was he Guilty?


Greetings Readers

"
She is like a blade”

That is what a grocery clerk said to me while taking my post ride stop in front of Barnes & Nobles in the Araphoe Market Center on Sunday afternoon. At first I did not hear him since I was listening to my iPod with both earpieces in my ears. I said “I’m sorry I could not hear you” He said “She’s like a blade.” I did not know what to say. He then followed up by saying “That is a nice bike you have” I bet you could pick her up like this” He held his hand out, palm out with one finger extended. I nodded and said “yes, you could”

I can not say that was respect nor can I say that he was recognizing. Even as I am typing this up on my laptop I still can not figure out if there is any sort of meaning. The only thing that really I can say is that sort of comment is what makes my day. Hell, let us say week. You buy something nice - people do recognize quality.

Did anyone read the headline of the front page of the Sunday paper this weekend? The paper I am talking about is the one distributed in Denver, Colorado.

Apparently, on Friday June 22, 2007 a former Denver City Attorney was found dead in a City Park. I decided to read the article since I remembered the name and also the story behind the person who was found dead on Friday.

Anyway, the first four paragraph of the article kind of sums up the “gist” of the article. “Anger and Sadness” by the people who knew the person. The next paragraph states the “good words” about this person. The third paragraph sums up the current events leading up to this person’s death. Finally, and what I think that this paper was basing this entire article on was “I think the media and the DA focused on facts that were not germane to what (this person) was charged with” said Rosemary Rodriguez, US Election Assistance Commissioner.

Then, the story is continued in the back pages of the paper, turn to such and such page. When I finally got to the page I needed - I read the words in quotes “Beloved and loyal” and “Outstanding (person), a great lawyer” Get the fuck out of here! Here is this paper attempting to make a whole page in their paper to, perhaps, give this person the “woe is me” or “it is soo sad that this person took their life” effect.

Again, this is only my opinion after reading the story. Of course, this view was pretty evident after reading the article, in its entirety. The paper’s writers were “careful” not to report the story from their view, but to put in their paper quote after quote from everyone to their great grandfather (I am being sarcastic, but why don’t you readers count how many people’s quotes make up the article). Quotes from the deceased’s lawyer, a statement from the family, the LARASA (Latin America Research & Service Agency), the Latino/a Research Policy Center at the University of Colorado and a few other people towards the end of the article. I am assuming that we readers should “feel sorry” for this person.

Not only are we reading “beloved” “talented” “did so many good things” ”a role model” describing this person we also read a quote “It’s a bad time to be a Hispanic in trouble in this city.” Was the paper trying to make us readers feel more empathy for this person, by playing “the race card”? You decide.

But readers, what it come down to – the person was charged with three felony counts in the theft of a laptop computer. Now my readers, I know not the whole story nor the “facts”, but according to what I read and found on this person – there was not a single charge of a misdemeanor charge made in this “alleged theft” Also, I do not know how “big” affidavits are, but the affidavit against this person was 80 pages long. 80 pages people – think about that.

On the opposite page of the article the paper lists the timeline of the person and then there is another article, fairly short, about how this person was “treated by the press and …unnecessarily savaged by the prosecution” stated by a long time friend.

You readers may agree with the quotes used in these two articles, but please keep in mind that this person was being charged with three felony charges.

I now go back to the quote that was used in the Sunday paper and in my blog “I think the media and the DA focused on facts that were not germane to what (this person) was charged with”. That word – germane. I sort of had an idea that I knew what the word meant, but I had to know the definition. According to Webster – Germane means - closely or significantly related; relevant; pertinent. So readers I write to you – All these quotes used in these two articles from “John Doe” to “Jane Somebody” are not germane to the felony charges that were filed.

From the Sunday’s paper timeline “Jefferson County District Attorney Scott Storey files three felony charges against (this person) alleging he stole a computer, used it to download images and movies, many of which were sexually explicit and tried to cover his tracks when confronted by police. This person is booked and released on a personal recognizance bond”

Yes, I have an opinion and my opinion has not changed since I heard “the story” of how this laptop was obtained. What also solidifies my opinion is the way this person died. To me, again in my opinion, that is guilty.

However, we are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Readers, I do not have an update on Wimbledon for you. I was watching WWE last night and apparently, at that time, the news was that Chris Benoit was found dead with his wife and son in their home. So, last night's 3 hour show was devoted to Chris Benoit. I was unable to watch any Wimbledon, since by then the evening was late and I was really not into the mood of watching tennis.

I did catch this morning's Wimbledon's tennis match and yes (pictured on today's blog) Marat Safin played this morning. I had to leave for work so I did not get to see the rest of the match. Yes, listening to radio Wimbledon and I heard that he won. Woo Hoo. Safin - The Russian - Nope, no fireworks this morning, but readers this is the first round. He was sort of passe, but it sort of looked like he was trying to get worked up to get angry. But he didn't. Gotta love this guy - the announcers and fans go to his match to see which Safin will show up - 6'5" of anger or could-care attitude.

Until the next time readers

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: