Tuesday, September 23, 2008

L.A.'s Announcment

Greetings Readers

I went and saw a friend and immediately asked for the paper since I knew that he brings in the paper almost every day. He said that the paper is over there, pointing with his head. With that I see that the section visible on top was the Sports Section.

I decided what the heck and see what is going on in the sports world on September 11, beside what day it is known for.

When I opened the Sports Section I see a familiar face with sunglasses on page three of the Denver Post. I automatically knew whose face that was without reading the photo caption.

Mr. L.A. Apparently, I did not have a fucking clue that on Tuesday September 9, 2008 he announced that he’s returning to the Tour de France next year (2009).

This is news. And most of you faithful Readers know my stance on Mr. L.A.

Well, I could not fucking believe what I saw on page three and I was no hurry to read what I thought was going to be why L.A. was in the paper.

First of all, I knew that L.A. was participating in Mountain Races here in Colorado. Yet, what I did not know, but apparently everyone around me was that L.A. announced he was going to ride in the Tour De France next year. I shook my head in the “I cannot fucking believe what I just read” way.

Yet, I have to agree with L.A. coming out of retirement. I have many, many times come out of retirement. Why you wonder? Well, the love of my biking and saying that I am retired do not go together. I never get burned out riding, but when I first retired, I really meant to retire.

Yet, after a few months I got restless. I had these bikes and I hated seeing those girls of mine just sitting my humble abode in storage. Also, without riding for a period of time one tends to get restless.

Now, personally I could not believe that L.A. was coming out of retirement, but after my initial finding out I can see why he has come out of retirement.

I whole-hearted agree with what he has announced. The tour de France the past three years has been different, but a good different. Without L.A. there are other teams and riders that have the chance to shine.

Whereas the team that Lance was on – Team Discovery – all riders were required to help L.A. to win the tour. Now, this is all my opinion and I have no facts, but never-the-less this is what’s what on a team with L.A.

First of all, each rider is required to help L.A. Period. His former team leader Johan Bruyneel was the leader of Team Discovery and I am sure he was the 1st lieutenant under L.A. Whatever L.A. said to Johan he relayed those order(s) to each rider on the team.

Every rider was there to help and sacrifice the cause to L.A.

And that is one of the reasons why L.A. has won the Tour de France. His team members, again my humble opinion, were told / instructed to help L.A. at the cost of their own glory in the tour. Unless L.A. gave the okay for any team member to take glory on one stage should a “good” opportunity arise, then you have limited freedom, on your own mind you, to try and win the stage. Winning the stages was not important as keeping the overall lead in the Tour de France. Otherwise, each team rider was to conserve strength, provide a slipstream for L.A. to ride in and make sure he keeps his overall lead in the Tour de France or at least keep L.A. within seconds of the overall lead.

And believe me Readers riding in a slipstream for 80 miles plus you will have the advantage over all other teams that are not like L.A.’s team. L.A.’s former team was part dedication to the cause, but most of it was required to help L.A. If you were not part of the team, well part of being required helping L.A, then you were not going to be on the team or go find another team to ride for.

If L.A. or Johan said do that or this. You do it. No questions. If you are required to set a pace for L.A. you do it. If you are told to hold up for L.A. then you hold up. If you are told to go and get water bottles for L.A. you do it. If L.A. has bike trouble you hold up or even give up your bike in order for L.A. to continue in the Tour de France.

Again, what I have just wrote is speculation, but I am betting that I am not that far off from the real truth behind his winning of the Tour de France many, many times.

Now, when I found out about this news I immediately thought of Levi Leipheimer.

Levi went to another team after being under / on L.A.’s team for one bike season, but then left for another team once that was done.

I am not sure we know the real reason why, but I know that the reason was that Levi wanted the chance to ride for himself and not be told that he must give up his biking rights to help L.A. win the tour.

Now, as of last year Levi found himself on another Team - Team Astana. My team that I have behind ever since they were basically known as Team T-Mobile. Which you readers may or may not know that is where the second most bike rider I model myself after was - Jan Ullrich.

Due to doping riders of Team Astana the year before they were forbidden (not invited) to ride in the Tour de France this year. Which was very unfortunate for Levi since he was basically the unofficial team captain of Team Astana.

Now, I feel for Levi since now there is a possibility that L.A. will be joining Team Astana since L.A.’s former 1st Lieutenant is now captain of Team Astana. With that being said all previous team objectives would change since Johan and L.A. will make it clear that L.A. will be the rider to be supported on Team Astana.

I hope that I am wrong, but I want Levi to have a chance to shine at the Tour de France on Team Astana and not another team. Though I believe in my heart that L.A. and Johan will be reunited even though the team owners said in a statement that they are not interested in signing L.A. to the team, though in the past that would have been a very good option to take.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley

The Fallen Athlete

No comments: