Monday, September 22, 2008

A Funeral Song List ?

Greetings Readers

I guess that is about how I can describe what I heard this morning. And of course, this came out to me in a round about way to the "death list of songs" to be played at one's funeral

Flashback - An Ipod owner I am - Three Ipods now - I did have four, but lost one due to damage.

Anyway, ever since becoming an Ipod owner, my music on my Ipod comes from my own personal collection of music. And yes that music is huge and unique. I have never, ever thought about going on Itunes and purchasing a song from Itunes. Especially so since if there was a song that I wanted to listen to - I bought the CD. Even if that CD had the only one good song I bought the entire CD.

In my view, buying a song for a dollar is alot of money. I am not talking about cost per minute or anything like that, but song buying in general.

Anyway, I go to Lamont and tell him of my dilemma of the “15 Wishes” I have been recently granted.
He smiles and shakes his head and laughs. Yes - At me. I could not help to smile and laugh back.

I explained that I purchased 15 wishes a week ago and still have yet to redeem those wishes.

I told Lamont what I wrote to you Readers – I have a tablet full of songs and artists. I have scraps of paper with songs written. Yet, I still cannot choose a wish. Then, I explained three days after getting the wishes I thought that I needed more for my money. Meaning that I had to revise my songs and pick some longer (time wise) songs as opposed to the shorter songs.

He again laughs and says to me “I’ve been there, bud”

Lamont tells me…

“Choose the songs that you chose first and purchase them – after all you can get another gift card – or as in your case 15 more wishes.”

I say “yeah that’s $ 15.00 dollars more”

“I thought you said they were wishes?!”

“They are”

“Well then, are they 15 wishes or 15 dollar gift card?”

I decided that was going to be the end of this topic.

Lamont reaches for him Day timer, opens it up and pulls out a folded piece of paper.

Lamont says to me he has made a “funeral list” of songs. Apparently, Lamont was at a funeral recently and the thing that he noticed was the music that was being played during the funeral.

I laughed at him and shook my head and I really could not believe that he has a “funeral list” that he wants to be played at his funeral. I was really shocked that he has actually put some thought into the music that he wants to be played at his funeral. Lamont recently had a birthday, which puts him into a new age bracket. Perhaps with attending a funeral and his new age bracket he may be thinking more about his death. I do not know.

Believe me Lamont talked about how this funeral list came about, but the thought that he actually put some thought into this funeral list was just a bit tad too much than my “little” problem of trying to choose 15 wishes that I want.

I did not get to see the list for myself, but Lamont did read some of the songs and artists that were listed. I did not agree nor disagree on the songs that he mentioned to me. Who am I too tell him whether those songs are good or bad.

I am still speechless on the existence of funeral list he made.

And I hope that I never, ever compile a funeral list.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: