Saturday, September 06, 2008

Guitar Hero - Aerosmith Limited Edition

Greetings Readers

Well, I am not one to hide an embarrassing thing of what might of interest to you Readers. Right? I think that the only thing that I have been hiding is my locations of where I exactly live, where I work, my phone number, and of course my mother’s maiden name. Well, actually both of my parent’s names.

Though, What is this embarrassing thing?

Yours truly now owns Guitar Hero – The Aerosmith Edition for the PS3. A few people coaxed me into the game, but I have not been interested in buying. Many reasons. Well, first Guitar Hero does not appeal to me. I had no desire to buy. I saw that Southpark Episode that mocked Guitar Hero and believe me Readers I agreed with the entire episode of Southpark’s take on Guitar Hero.

Yet, my friends say that this is a great game for parties, get together and what not.

I was okay with not owning Guitar Hero, until up to about two weeks ago when I purchased another DVD recorder. When I was in Best Buy I was looking around at this and that and then I heard Aerosmith playing in the store, which I assumed was the recent Guitar Hero release that featured Aerosmith in the game.

Sidebar - I listened to Aerosmith when I was young and loved every album up until Permanent Vacation when Aerosmith became something I believed that Aerosmith should not have gone. Too pop perhaps. Or perhaps too ballad-y. I do not know really, but I used that excuse and from there I have not listened nor bought any albums from Aerosmith after their Permanent Vacation Album.

Back to present day – I turned the corner in Best Buy and lo and behold I saw a young girl 10 to 15 years old perhaps and she was kicking ass on Guitar Hero to an old Aerosmith song. Kicking ass is being polite. She was fucking rocking on the Guitar Hero game and she was basically sticking it to me. She hit almost every note and was swaying to the song and showing off to anyone who was watching that she fucking kicks ass.

From that instant I was not bothered that she rocked, but that this girl of that age was doing something better than me. No fucking way was I going to let that slide. Now, if this was something like she was building a better dollhouse than me – so what. No man’s ego can be offended by that. But, A video game with a Guitar – that’s encroaching upon a male’s ego that he must be better than the opposite sex. Period.

I brought up this incident to my friend the following week and told Lamont that this girl rocked and put to me to shame. He smiled and laughed. Yet, after talking to Lamont about this more I knew that I would not be able to live with myself. And Lamont did not help by rubbing it in that he was rocking the Guitar like Jimi and Eddie. He laughs and I too laugh, but secretly thinking that Lamont is also better than me and that really cannot be – in the right scheme of things.

I knew that I would be spending the money, but it would not a real senseless purchase since I do entertain guests from time to time and this would be a great party thing to have available.

So, this morning I headed to the same Best Buy and looked for the Aerosmith Guitar Hero edition and now I own my very own Guitar Hero.

Fast forward – I played that game for over four hours. Where in the hell did I lose 4 hours?! I was pulled in and I had a goal - to learn to use my left hand for certain moves, while my right hand “strummed” and then I had to learn more moves on top of those two independent moves. I had no clue that there was that much things that needed to be done to play Guitar Hero. I thought it was simple. Yet, you had to move fingers, watch and match the colors to the things on the TV showing what needs to be done. Also, tilt the guitar upwards when you get Star Power and also to use the Whammy bar for additional points. I was pretty crazy by the time the fourth hour came and went. I was not even blinking until the song was over so I would not miss a time that I had to pick a chord to play. I was absorbed by the game – how I did not see that coming.

And lo and behold when I made a “dead note” I cussed. Not just cussed. But Fucking cussed. That was how mad I got when I made a mistake. Is that not fucking crazy?!

In the end, I was able to get pretty far in the career mode and I did not once get booed off stage. Whereas Lamont got booed off the stage during a Slayer song. So, I guess that means I am once more better than Lamont at something we have done in common.

And you know what Readers, that’s what really matters in my own world. Shallow, but if I got a smile, walk taller and feel good then that’s all a plus in my book.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: