Sunday, September 21, 2008

16 New Animals on the Ranch

Greetings Readers

Now, I think I will be on the last topic to blog about of my trip to the Ranch.

I told you Readers of the Massacre of the Guineas that we had earlier this year.

I was pissed off at what happened and was happy to show you that those dogs got what they deserved for killing our Guineas and Chickens.

Well, I got over the massacre being told to me by my Mom, but I was mad since I was unable to act on what happen.

Though, I am so glad that my Dad shot the dogs that were involved in the massacre.

Anyway, a week prior to going to the Ranch I spoke with my Mom and she had said that the Guinea had chicks. 16 chicks to be exact. Wow. I could not believe that one Guinea had 16 chicks. That is fucking a lot of eggs to be sitting on. I have no clue on why there were 16 chicks.

Though, at the exact same time of the year last year we had eight new chicks. But for the Guineas to double that was pretty amazing.

Believe me Readers, I wanted to tell you the great news, but I wanted to see the great news before telling you Readers. So, that was another reason why I wanted to go to New Mexico.

When I got to the Ranch I wanted to see the new Guinea chicks. Boy oh boy the chicks were still small and the mother was protective of the chicks. After the chicks were hatched my Mom and Dad moved the chicks and Mother to the bottom of the Hen house. Sorry Readers, when the mom lays her eggs she lays them away from the Hen house. I do not know the reason why, but my guess is that she would not be bothered by any other of the Guineas. Yet, I can not get over that one Guinea was sitting on 16 eggs. Pretty fucking amazing in my book – right?!

Of course, this might a normal sort of thing. But who knows?!

Since the new chicks were born we have lost three chicks. Sad, but in the grand scheme of things that’s good since what are we going to do with 16 new chicks. Two were lost to hawks (could be that one chicken hawk Foghorn Leghorn had trouble with) and the third was caught between the chicken wire and bale of hay and probably too weak to get un-stuck and died of exhaustion.

I did say that I would research the internet to see if Guineas can be eaten. After all I am not sure that we can give away any Guinea Chicks


Update 09/28/08 - I now know to correctly spell "Guinea Fowl" aka "Numida Meleagris". And the kind that we have at our Ranch is the "Pearl Guinea."

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: