Wednesday, September 17, 2008

15 Wishes roughly

Greetings Readers

As you can see from today’s blog picture I have an iTunes Gift card for $ 15.00.

Unfortunately, in my mind I have been granted about “15 wishes”

Yes, wishes. That is the only way that I can see this iTunes card that I bought for myself over a week. Over a week ago and I still have not activated the gift card as of today.

If you faithful readers have been reading / following my blog over a year now you would know that I did have four ipods in the past year and now I am down to three ipods. Yet, the important thing is that until just over a year ago I never, ever believed that I would ever have an ipod. Blasphemy.

Yet, after the first ipod I bought and about a month later I was impressed what the ipod has done for me and what you can actually do with an ipod. More importantly, I did and do like the smallness compared to my portable CD player that I have and rarely use anymore.

Anyway, back to my 15 wishes. As with owning an ipod I have never given thought to buying any songs from iTunes. After all, any songs that I like I usually buy the CD so I can listen to the song anytime that I want. Yes, there are and will forever be one hit wonders, but I am the person who would buy the CD for that one song.

Hence, when I see and hear people buying a song from iTunes I roll my eyes and think wow they are spending 99 cent per song and my friends have spent a lot on buying songs to add to the their ipod.

Me, I have a CD collection close to 500 plus. So, I did not nor do I have a problem with having any songs to be put onto my ipod. Nor was / is there any desire to buy a song(s) from iTunes.

After all those .99 cents songs do add up when buying one after another.

Then, in the past two weeks I was talking to another ipod owner and he uses the gift cards like they were nothing. He says that he has spent over 300 dollars on gift cards, but in his view he loves the option of just buying that one song as opposed to buying the whole CD.

It was after this last conversation with another ipod owner in my life that I decided to see how iTunes is when purchasing songs from them.

I went out to Safeway and bought the lowest denomination available for iTunes. Later that day I got on the computer and then logged into iTunes and there I was.

I had a plan, but after four hours I still had not used the gift card. Though in those four hours I had a tablet written down of songs that I wanted to buy, but also other artist that came into my mind while trying to figure out how to use my 15 wishes.

Wishes. That is the way that I am looking at this gift card. I have been granted 15 wishes and I have to take those 15 wishes and imagine that once I choose those 15 wishes that is that. I get no do-overs.

With that mentality I have been searching and reviewing every song that I have chosen and every song and artist that I have thought about since getting the gift card. I need to make sure that I use the 15 wishes to my best interest.

I saw 15 wishes, but apparently it is less than that since iTunes apparently taxes each song so the actually cost of the song is over a dollar, which means I am going to get less than 15 wishes. No problem for me, but I still have to make sure that I am still using my wishes as my last wishes ever.

The next day or so I thought about all the songs that I have ever heard in my life and perhaps never bought the CD. I had my tablet, which by now has more lines and songs added to the tablet. I also had bits of paper with songs written down when I was work, or in Living room or anywhere else so I would not forget the song(s).

I got onto iTunes once more and had an idea and was ready to redeem my wishes, when I saw and thought – hey I am not getting the most for my money. I did not nor do not want to purchase a song that might be two minutes and three seconds long as opposed to a ten minute plus song. I want the most of my wishes. That was the end of the log in session. I had to go over my lists and see which songs were the longest and which are the shortest.

“Sucks to be me”

Here I am today and I still not have redeemed my wishes. Sad, but true. I am making this harder than it should be, but I believe in my view that I should treat the 15 wishes as my last wishes ever.

Though Lamont says get over it since you can buy more wishes later. I say to him I know that, but does Lamont know that I am going to buy more wishes. I do not know the answer myself. After all, look at the complexity of choosing 15 wishes I have caused for myself.

I will keep you readers updated on the 15 wishes or so that I will purchase for the first time. It will not be an all time list, but whatever songs I choose will be treated as perhaps my last purchase from iTunes.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: