Friday, September 26, 2008

Good and Bad from the Past

Greetings Readers

Note - Post revised later after said incident which has now been posted


Today was a great day to run into a friend from the past, but today was also the worst day to hear about another friend being given their walking papers at their place of employment.

I am happy for seeing a friend from my past, but I am also sad for hearing about the news of another friend from my past.

Let me start with the bad news. I am sad for hearing about my friend being let go from their place of employment. After all, I was in the same department that this person was let go from. I know a bit of the people involved, but I know nothing of current events regarding my friend at my former place of employment.

My friend is someone who is quiet by nature, but while at his or her job he/she is required to be in a customer service position. I am not saying that this person was in a customer service position, but he/she did deal with the customers, not to mention the outside vendors.

Besides that he/she is the example of giving 100% to his/her job and minding his/her business.

I know nothing of what exactly happened, but apparently on the day that he/she was let go neither his/her boss was present at his/her termination.

Long story short – my friend gave 2-week notice, but the HR dept decided to give his/her check today and that is that. I am going to call her/him next week and at least offer a place to go an apply for a job (at my company.)

This was a person I got a to know more than just a co-worker and in my book that means a lot. If I have a chance to help a friend out then I will make sure that I give my friend a chance, in my book.

You may or may not reading my blog, but if you are then expect a phone call from me next week. I will give whatever help I can and also help on explanation on why you were let go.

Now, onto the good news. I saw my old friend that I used to work with at a company in my past. We never worked together, but we did work together in a round about way. I think that what I liked, after some time, was that I could say “Hey D!” Or “What’s up D!?” with me stressing “D” when saying “D”

Well of course “D” nick named me “5 fingers” since I was giving away Reese’s Peanut butter Cups every now and then. “D” was implying that I stole the candy hence “5 fingers.” I never took offence to this, after all, we were friends. When I was giving away Reese’s Peanut butter cups candy it was directly from a full box that I bought at Sam’s Club.

Anyway, to bring you Readers to current my friend saw me at my Local Liquor Store just arriving on a Friday evening.

“I hear you, but you cannot be that much out of breath?” I look at who said this to me and then the smile appeared out of nowhere.

“How are you ?!”

Any thoughts of the day were wiped clean. Seeing my friend from the past made this Friday most pleasant. We talked a bit outside the store and then he or I said let’s go in together.

We talked about the past history where I used to work at together, in a round about way. Then, we talked about beer. What we both liked and what we both would recommend to each other.

I got a free wristband from the Cuervo girl manning the Cuervo Black table. I think that the wristband is pretty and I think that I going to wear this band full time for a while when bike riding. Yeah, the wristband sort of does look cool.

Readers, I am glad I ran into my old friend or my that my friend ran into me, whom I have communicated in the past two years via email, still at the same place of employment I saw him last. I am glad that he remembered me. I am glad that we were able to spend the little time we had in and outside the liquor store this Friday.

Yet, before leaving each other’s company he/she offered to exchange one bottle of beer.

Well, I was okay with this for about 3 seconds and then I came to my senses. I say

“Hey you got the better end of the deal since my beer was more expensive.”

I say to my friend that he owes me about dollar fifty or two dollars more. My friend says that his/her beer was just about expensive as my beer. I agreed with him/her but I felt I was getting the short end of the stick with a huge smile on my face.

Actually after crunching the numbers in our head the difference was about .50 cents, but to me I still paid for the most expensive beer and I felt the trade I was getting stiffed. I mean this jokingly. And my friend laughed about this, but it was his/her idea to exchange a bottle.

I was not getting screwed – after all I am all for trying a new beer for the first time and the difference between the prices is small. I only bought up the price difference since it is my nature to make sure that I do not get screwed. But this was between old friends and trying a new beer so this okay.

And no I was not expecting for him to pay me the difference – I would be a prick asking for the difference, amongst our five-year plus friendship


By the way readers - with the nice weather still here I have been riding all my bikes and forgoing the running to and from work. I know I should not, but I am trying to take advantage of the nice weather we are having. Anyway, here is picture of the three bikes - Andrea, Tracey and Rebecca that have been used all week. I never have rotated bikes all week since getting my HED. rims. Anyway, it was sight to see that these three bikes have been getting some riding time in at the beginning of Autumn.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: