Saturday, February 02, 2008

Thunder & Lightining in Winter


Greetings Readers

The temperature is now about 26 degrees this morning and rising. There is also a fresh layer of snow on the ground. I did not realize that there was going to be that much snow on ground.

Flashback - The time was just a little past 10 PM last night I was watching that old (Cult?) movie "LifeForce" when I saw a very bright flash outside my balcony window. I had the door blinds open but the window blinds/drapes were closed. It was like a camera flash going off on my patio.

I get up from the couch and try and see where that flash bright light came from. I slowly walked up to my door with the blinds open and carefully looked outside. From the glow of the lights I see that snow is falling pretty good and then that's when I heard the unmistakeable sound of rolling thunder.

I couldn't believe this - I actually have witnessed two such events in the past 6 months that there is actually thunder and lightening during a snow storm. I estimated that the time from I saw the flash until I heard the thunder it was about 8 seconds.

When I heard the sound of the rolling thunder the thunder just rolled for about 5 to 10 seconds. What an amazing sound. Oh, at least it was not some crazy woman/man outside my balcony taking pictures of me in my underwear and wrapped partially in my comforter while sitting on the couch. Oh yes, I was relaxed and ready to hit the sack. Then again all my working out I have nothing to hide. Granted, not built, but much more happier with the progress I have made while joining my club last year.

Anyway, I wanted to really hear the thunder next time and I also wanted to see where exactly the lightening was coming from. I grabbed the comforter I use and stragetically wrapped the comforter around me and stepped outside on the balcony. The coldness of the night immediately hit me but I had my comforter wrapped pretty good around me. I saw my breath in the cold air and yet I was not cold. I was pumped to see some lightening so I was unaware of the coldness of the night. I could see the now falling in the harsh sodium street lights and the snow did look like and fall like rain. Perhaps there was a mixture in the snow and rain, which would make sense for the thunder and lightening. Then again, I am no weather person.

If any of you readers do not know by now - today is Groundhog Day and that means I have another tradition I do on this particular day. Yes watch teh movie "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray.

Groundhog Day is a very good movie. Funny yet does have it somber moments. Such as the homeless man. Bill Murray, first time, ignore this person as probably I would have if seeing a homeless person for the first time. Then, through the movie Bill befriends this homeless man. Buys him a soup and when the homeless man was done with his soup Bill Murray give the homeless man his soup, which he did not touch. And Bill does some others things, but at the end of the day Bill Murray could not save this homeless man.

Anyway, I could go on and on, But I am sure that you readers know the movie. If not, please take the hour and half of so and see this movie. There is Andie McDowell, Chris Elliott, Brian Doyle-Murray and a few other actors/actresses that you would know of. Pretty soon you will be quoting the radio disc jockeys like I do on a cold day. Anyway, A tradition and I plan to keep carrying on this little tradition.

And in case you are wondering the picture is of "Punxsutawney Phil" and here is the 4-1-1.

Phil Says Six More Weeks of Winter!

Phil's official forecast as read 2/2/08 at sunrise at Gobbler's Knob:

Here Ye! Here Ye! Here Ye!
On Gobbler's Knob on this fabolous Groundhog Day, February 2nd, 2008 Punxsutawney Phil, the Seer of Seers, Prognosticator of all Prognosticators,Rose to the call of President Bill Cooper and greeted his handlers, Ben Hughes and John Griffiths.
After casting a weathered eye toward thousands of his faithful followers,Phil consulted with President Cooper and directed him to the appropriate scroll, which proclaimed:
"As I look around me, a bright sky I see, and a shadow beside me.Six more weeks of winter it will be!"


Now, onto the 31 days of Oscar. My first movie of 31 days of Ocsar was the classic movie from the 70's - Jaws. "You're gonna need a bigger boat." What a line and scene in the movie. Overall, the movie is still great after seeing it so many times. And yes I have this movie in my library, but just seeing the movie TCM is much more better. Then you have "Quint". What a character. Sort of a stubborn mule that perhaps I imitate on some level. Not sort of, but just plain stubborn. And I am sure that I have written (posted) this before, but this was the movie when I was young that made me scared of the water. Specifically the ocean. Since then I have waded/swam in the Pacific Ocean and Elliott Bay so I am getting over the fear, but yet I am always thinking about Jaws.

This morning on TCM was another movie I enjoyed and also has Roy Schneider - 2010. Not a good movie per se, but enjoyable. I really liked the air braking scene. Other than that not even close to the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.

This weekend we are going to have a break in some of this cold, single & teen degree weather. As I went for an early morning bike ride in Centennial I was riding in about 23 degree weather. I grabbed my new Jack Daniel's Bandanna and fingerless biking gloves thinking it was going to be warm since the sun is shining so bright. Well, that was wrong choice on my part this morning. The day was still early and the air was cold with me riding into a slight breeze. I had to curl my fingers into my hands, as much as I could. The bandanna did nothing and my ears were cold. Apparently I was very cold by the time I walked into the Grocery store. We bike riders never know how cold it is outside until we go indoors and start to warm up. My ears were burning as well as my legs getting hot.

And I think I have chosen... well not think, I am going to do my first official run this weekend - Sunday. I am excited. No real training, but a run is what I am ready for. Perhaps this will motivate me to get the running going once more.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: