Friday, September 07, 2007

US Open 2007 - Day 12


Greetings Readers

I laughed and then I really laughed last night. I got home last night just in time for the Novak Djokovic vs. Carlos Moya match. Nothing spectacular about the match itself. 6-4, 7-6(7) & 6-1. Well, beside finishing the match in three sets as opposed to 4 or 5 sets at 3 to almost 5 hours long matches.

When it was time for the post game interview. Everything was same ole same old, then the interviewer asked Novak (Pictured on my post today) if he could do some impersonations.

That's where the interview got interesting. Real interesting.

I can not remember how the impersonations got started, but when the name "Sharapova" was said I immediately perked up. Djokovic tucked in his shirt into his short, hiked up his shorts, rolled his socks down to his ankles and proceeded to warm up for a tennis serve as Maria Sharapova.

I wish I could visually described the scene. Djokovic hopping at the back of the baseline, primping his hair, bouncing his serve as Sharapova and executing the serve as Sharapova. As American Express would probably label "Priceless"

But, it was not over. As soon as Djokovic got done with the act - # 2.

"Nadal"

I actually yelled "yeah!" and I knew from the bottom of my heart on which part of Nadal that Djokovic was going to impersonate to a "T".

So, Djokovic un-tucked his shirt then pulled his tennis shorts way down so they were down to his knees if not below them. He pulled up his socks rolled up his sleeves and then it was showtime once more Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York City. Djokovic did a couple of squats at mid court and sprinted to the back of the court and danced back and forth like a boxer getting ready to fight. Djokovic's back was to the tennis court so all you could see was his back, but a very boxing feel to the scene. He then proceeded to wipe his hair from his face, bounced his serving ball on the baseline and then...

Boo yah! And I mean Boo-yah! I was yelling along with Arthur Ashe Stadium on Djokovic's next impersonation of Nadal. Djokovoc grabbed his shorts from the back and yanked exaggeratedly as Nadal does when he pulls on his shorts. Djokovic then yanks the front of his short while standing on one leg to "adjust" his tennis short just to make of the adjustment. The noise from the crowd was loud.

"Priceless". Yes, I was laughing, I was cheering, I am still laughing, but yes it may have been in poor taste. I do feel Nadal will extract repercussions on their next meeting on the court. Until then, Djokovic showed us viewers what we see and none of the "well known" commentators do not/will not talk about.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: