Saturday, July 14, 2007

Tour de France - Day 6, 8


Greetings Readers

I did not have time to blog yesterday - Sorry readers

Tour de France - Day 6 was the first venture into the mountains of France. Yes, Vino was tested and he was able to stay with the rest of the "best". I guess that "best" depends on your point of view. Unless you are Phil Liggett and have written off Vino and Team Astana Already. I understand that he is a good announcer and has been in and with the tour for many years, but he is almost like the John McEnroe of Tennis commentary. Him and Paul Sherwin - Readers - You can make a drinking game from the words they use over and over during the live coverage.

Thank gosh, I do not depend on the "enhanced" version that is shown at night. That is the show that is "enhanced" with trivia, useless things, the "facts"(the way that they see the facts), etc. I digress...

So readers, Take a drink every fucking time that they say "Anger" "pedaling in anger" pedaling with anger" "Lance A..." "Johan" "Armstrong" and I think those are the key words they forcefully put into their commentary. You can not include "peloton" "the back" breakaway" "yellow jersey" etc.

On those two commentators - Paul and Phil are so bias. They think this and they think that. Or from the video today or yesterday (sorry readers my memory is blurring with my watching the tour) showed Vino was near the finish Vino made the universal sign of the cross in front of him. BUT. Phil had to say that was the sign of being drained or to some effect like that. Sorry readers I was a bit peeved when Phil made a whole different interpretation of the universal sign of the cross. Of course, I and his co-host, made the connection of the universal sign of the cross. From there you can interpreted what that may have meant. Vino did do good yesterday and today. Yes, he was transforming from a tour rider into a tour mummy rider with all those bandages all over him.

I did not see Vino's appearance as funny at all. I was worried for him and I am still rooting for him. Never give up until you can not go on anymore.

Now, Tour de France - Day 8 - Stage 7 - The start this morning for us in the Mountain Time Zone 5:30 AM - we joined the tour with a 15 man breakaway and they were approaching the cat 3, cat 4 and cat 1 mountain climb. All the GC (General Classification) riders were pretty much together, the sprinters were hanging on, to advance to the next day.

"Flecha". hah hah - yes he was in the breakaway group once more and they made me say his name with a smile. Since the tour has entered the Alps I saw for the first time Michael Boogerd. That is him pictured on today's blog. This rider is pretty impressive for me. He is one of the domestiques, but more importantly he is the pacer in the mountains for his team. Whenever I see him in the front of the group I know that is about to make the group working much more harder. Boogerd is not a "small" guy. I am amazed, yes amazed, when I see this guy leading out his team. As in the past year or so, I have seen him lead out Michael Rasmussen. These two together is like "butter and toast." Boogard is the "toast" burning the group into submission on the mountain climbs and once his job is done he pulls off and then like 'butter" Rasmussen slips away to earn those coveted "King of the Mountain" points.

Today's winner was amazing in my opinion. I was surprised and nope - I do not know who the fuck this rider is. Two good things - 1. He, Linus Gerdermann, is that he is on T-Mobile. and 2. He is German. He made me proud to own & wear my T-Mobile Bike jersey I bought last year. I was sitting on my couch yelling for him not to give up on the last Cat 1 climb since the next rider was only :29 seconds behind him. I was in awe watching the foam around his mouth. I could literally feel his pain and emotionally I was with him. Yet, as I knew he still had to battle for first going down to the finish. Congrats to Linus and T-Mobile!

Tomorrow - Three Cat 1 climbs - it is going to get very, very interesting readers.

Oh, yesterday me and Bobby Rae worked out at the Colorado Athletic Club in Inverness. I guess I have spoiled her with the "nice" club as oppose to 24 hr fitness. Again, I had a great time yesterday and I can feel the burn in my muscles. She liked the club and as we were leaving she had to drag me to another area and she got her "punch on" with a bag and also with me "wearing the boxing hand glove".

You want to know something readers. I have been living with sore muscles for 6 days! Not just sore, but very sore and fatigue. I had to take another rest day. There were two mornings this past week were I woke up very stiff and took every effort for not to cry out in pain. But as soon as I got up went to the bathroom and then back to bed I was okay. Well, not okay, but was able to deal with the day. Yes, I have been taking some Tylenol when I felt the pain starting to get worse.

I guess that about sums up the blog for today.

Wait, yesterday, I was on the Light Rail since I knew that I would not make the bank in time. So, I had to use the light rail to help with the distance to my bank. So, I got on and was minding my business when this 20 to young 30 something woman was waving her hand to get my attention. I did notice her when she first got on the train, but that was about it. Wavy hair, a nice figure and yes, nice "rack", not a red-head, but sort of close or maybe it was the light and freckles, but nice freckles. I took out my earphones and "yes?". "How is your Giant?" And then we talked for only about 2 minutes or so, but I wish I could talked longer, but I really had to get to the bank. Yes, she was very cute when I actually started to talk to her. Or could be all that testosterone I have been exerting this week. Who knows. Or perhaps she saw my rippling biceps. hah hah. Well, could be since I did work out at lunch and those "guns" of mine are getting better and better. I wish I would of gave her my name and number or a name to find me on the internet.

Perhaps, it was not meant to be. But dang, I had the sudden urge, strong urge, to lean in closer to her and kiss her like it was going to be her last kiss ever. We were talking close to each other since she was in sitting next to the aisle where I was standing/leaning in to her. I can not explain that feeling. She did have nice full lips too which complemented her eyes. Okay readers, I got to let this subject go, but again I think this note is more for me later down the road.

Note: I located this statement after finishing my blog:

"I am sure Vino will start the stage tomorrow," team manager Marc Biver told reporters.

"I know him, he is a warrior, he's not going to let it go without a fight.
"He is going to go to the limit, he is ready to die on his bike."
Kazakh Vinokourov, 81st overall and two minutes 10 seconds behind leader Fabian Cancellara, has stitches in his knees and elbow as well as bruising on his buttocks.

Until the next time

And I thought I was done - Finally a picture of me and Rebecca at the Greenwood Goosechase 2007.

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: