Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Tour de France - Day 3


Greetings Readers

It was a late evening yesterday. I was out biking until 9:30 PM last night. As soon as I got off work yesterday I headed home, dropped off my work clothes and then headed over to Cherry Creek Reservoir for some mileage. I was a little bit tight, but feeling good.

I got over to the state park and started to do some laps. I was averaging 20 mph, considering my long bike ride the day before. I felt good. I knew that I could push myself to exhaustion since I knew that I was not going to make the 104 miles that I needed to in order to be with the Tour de France.

Long story short is that I did 45.76 miles yesterday. Not too shabby. I did a couple of laps in Cherry Creek and I even a couple of riders next to me. I was pushing the big gears while these other guys were pushing the high cadence gears. It is always good for me to see them pedal two or three times more than I have to in the larger gear, but going the same speed, if not faster. I often have to miss a rotation since I am often on their back wheel - drafting. Why should I get ahead of them when it is them that are trying to pass me? I often play "head games" and pedal just a bit extra so when they look back at me they still see me on their back tire when perhaps I should be way back behind them. It is funny to see them pedal much harder in order "to lose" me.

I am 53 miles behind the tour mileage, but that is going to increase significantly since today is a long stage of 153 miles, I think. There is no way I can catch up.

Getting up this morning sucked. I was a lot more tighter and the muscles in my lower legs a bit more stiff. I can thank myself and one of the riders at Cherry Creek for pushing me to a higher limit of riding. I knew better yesterday, but I also knew that I had to push myself.

I did not get to watch the Tour de France - Stage 2 last night, but I did get the see the ending when I was checking my recording. Another crash - Riders riding with one hand on the handlebars and the other tucked into their body (pictured Cancellara in the yellow jersey crossing after being in the crash kilometers from the finish). One guy fracture his thumb 5 places. His thumb! A nice sprint by two same team members on a little climb to the finish. Somehow these two were able to get past all the sprinters. Perhaps the others thought the hill was not as steep. I do not know.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: