Thursday, July 26, 2007

Tour De France - Day 19, 20


Greetings Readers

Okay, time to play some catch up. These entries were made prior to any news regarding anything. I have made no modifications upon anything after finishing the blog entry.

Tour de France - Stage 15

Greetings Readers

I have had some time to think. I guess to be specific I have had 10 hours and 30 minutes to think about the news that I read about Team Astana and my rider I still follow Vinokourov. Yes readers, you heard me right. I am still behind Vino. You must understand if you are behind a rider more than 50% percent then you are behind that person. Period.

I am stunned by the news that I read on my lunch break. The entire team Astana has pulled out of the Tour de France. Since the news has just broken I am not going to write that this was the cause of Alexandre Vinokourov. I cannot dispute what the news has relayed to us viewers.

I am basically summarizing what was released today. Vino’s post test came up positive with “blood doping”. What that means is that Vino allegedly had a blood transfusion. Yes, that is against the rules.

I do not know what to say readers. I am just stunned. My rider, Vino, has been “tested positive” in the Tour de France. Regardless, I am still behind Vino until proven otherwise.

I am not one to judge until proven guilty. I am not sure how the IOC operates. Nor do I know how the tour organizers/association operates either.

Readers, I was thinking about publishing the blog that I wrote for Monday’s stage of Vino’s win. Yet, with the events that have come to dominate the day, I cannot. I can point out some things though instead…

I did sort of call on what may happen, but by no means did I “state for the record” that Vino would win the stage. Vino had two riders with him in the breakaway on stage 15 and I knew deep down inside that Vino had an excellent chance to do some damage to the other riders (GC riders).

When I got home I watched the live tape that I recorded. Pretty much was the same when I left for work that morning. Then at Mile 28.7 mile to go to the finish line I saw the rider of Team Astana 194 Ivanov literally weaving on the left side of the road on the fucking climb of the mountain. Again, I could not help saying softly out loud to myself “oh no” and seeing Ivanov weaving, maintaining the climb of the Pyrenees.

Yet, I knew that this “weaving” was due to him setting the pace to help his Team Captain, Vino. Ivanov sacrificed himself to help Vino in the breakaway group. Yet, this is another image that I cannot get out of mind. Ivanov weaving his “machine” all over the Pyrenee’s road. To see a rider to give all he can give and then to see him struggle after that tremendous effort was nothing I have ever seen in the Tour de France. Ever.

To go back to the stage in general. There were the “ugly” climbs, the headwinds that were blowing into the riders, and then you had the low clouds, or fog bank in the Pyrenees. This was a very unique stage in itself. The attack that was “waiting”, according to Paul and Phil never came. Though, if you readers want to count the attack of the leader well… it was not Rasmussen’s attack. Contador did the attacks this day and it was Rasmussen that was forced to counteract the Contador attack.

Even I was a bit surprised yet, not unexpected on what Vino did. I knew from the past Vino has the drive to do the impossible or remarkable, depending on your point of view.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

Tour de France - Stage 16

Greetings Readers

I am not sure how to begin this entry. I got up at 4:00 AM and was ready for the tour to start. I was prepared for the announcers, I have mentioned them in the past week, were going to disgrace Vino as far as they can. Period. Yet, as I mentioned before they are basically "two faced Mary's" If any of the riders are not American then basically they do not care, in a sense. I am being general, but if any of you readers are faithful watchers of the tour year after year then you know who they are behind and hope for.

Gosh-Damn - I think I was really surprise by Al. Him of all, I respect his commentary.... well more than Paul and Phil, but for him to make such a vicious statement against Vino, that was wrong of him to do. He is in a professional position and should not let his personal views be aired. I was a bit taken aback by a couple of Phil's comments. But, I expected no less from Phil. Paul was the same, but he was more neutral on a personal side, but followed the same path. And Bob, his opinion does not count.

I watched the stage as is began and I was watching, but not caring. Yes, I was expecting the Contador / Rasmussen "battle", but other than that I could care less.

I am going to digress - the reason why I do not care is that Vino and his team Astana are gone. I am not saying that was the reason I could care less, but that was the team I was following. And yes, that was posted and stated by me at the beginning of the tour. I was not interested in anyone or team. Yes, I was looking forward to Rasmussen in the mountains. BUT I WANT TO BE CLEAR. The me not caring currently about the Tour de France is not because of "doping" or "cheating" or any subject close to those two words. From my stand point I see/hear it everywhere. For me it is like a cell phone. Everyone has one, but I don't. It does not effect me. You have to get use to it. If someone gets caught then so be it. I am not going to cry, or get angry, or say bad "stuff" about that person/team. Move on.

Wait. Yes, I care about the Tour de France - ever since I was in junior High - hell, LeMond is still someone I regard highly in my life. I would not be were I am in my life as an Athlete if I never saw on TV him in the tour de France in the mid 80's. Yet, should the Tour de France be cancelled or what have you, I would be disappointed, but I would "survive". The Tour is my life, hell I wanted to that when I was young. But again, if the tour gets cancelled so be it. I will move on to the next sport. The other benefit is that I will not be glued to watching the tour for 21 days.

Back to the "baddest" mountain stage on this year's Tour de France - There was a breakaway group, Team Rabobank was leading the Peloton and eventually the chase group. Riders were dropping like flies.

Then, the last HC was sort of anti-climatic. I was watching. Not to see who will win, but who will get left behind. Rasmussen won in the end (pictured on today's blog), then Levi and Contador and then the young rider, Solar, came in fifth. Woo Hoo - new leaders in the Poka-Dot Jersey.

Sorry readers, the most grueling stage was something I was looking forward to, but watching yesterday, there was no excitement. Actually, I had the TV on, but I was putting on my new Carbon Fiber aerobars on my new bike while listening/watching to the Tour de France in the background.

Tomorrow, a few "bumps" at the beginning of the stage 17 and then the flats. Time for the sprinters who survived the Alps and Pyrenees to shine once more. Yet, I am missing Robbie McEwen already.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

Back to the current day -

Tour de France - Stage 17

I heard the news last night that Rasmussen was pulled from the Tour de France and that was that.

Well, this morning the announcers were talking about Rasmussen, but not in a bad way as they did to Vino. They did not admit what Rasmussen did was wrong. Especially Phil - Phil and bias feelings to Rasmussen and all those "adjectivally laced" words he used yesterday about Rasmussen. I knew he was not going to say something bad about "Mr. Chicken Legs". Yet, they mention a rider from another team that tested positive. Him and his team have also left the tour.

When Phil and the rest of the crew were talking about who will win the tour now, or how the Cheaters will be caught, blah blah blah. They were trying to take the high road on this day and not talking shit about anyone. I have to say I think that they are worried about their jobs in the future, since these guys are who do the Tour de France on TV for us Americans. But that is just the first thought I just thought of.

The stage was well underway when coverage started. Nothing worthy to report. But as I was turning off the TV -Denis Menchov was getting into the Rabobank support car. I know nothing more than that.

I guess I will see later tonight. By the way today's stage entry was random - I am going to follow through some points that I can expand on.

Until the next time readers

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: