Saturday, July 21, 2007

Tour de France - Day 15


Greetings Readers

Well, I am now going to load the file that I was going to load yesterday...

Tour de France - Stage 11 - Seeing Team Astana dictating the stage of Stage 11 was a sight to behold. You have to ignore the commentary of Paul and Phil as well as Al and Bob. A lump in my throat was present seeing at least five Astana riders in front of the chase group ahead of the Peloton. I would not say that this was the defining moment that would undo all the past 12 days, but this was the redemption of the past 12 days. I still have Vino to do something and even though Kloden is no the captain of Team Astana we have him in the top 10 of the GC standings.

The performance of Team Astana is what I see in myself. Demolishing anyone and everyone in my wake. What Vino and his “domestiques” did in about 15 kilometres was astounding. With Team Astana “dropping the hammer” they closed the gap from them, the chase group to the breakaway group was incredible. The time gap dropped so quickly in those 15 kilometres was what made me clinch my fist and say softly “yeah”

Then, Vino gave the signal (hand wave) to his domestiques that their effort at the front of the chase group was done. They dropped back into the chase group and let the other teams take charge of the chase group on catching the breakaway group and distancing themselves from the group that got let off the chase group.

Christophe Moreau - I have nothing bad to say about this rider. Period. I know of him, but I have no “ill” thoughts against him. However, today I am so happy that he was unable to be in chase group with Team Astana. That technically has eliminated another GC contender from a podium finish. Granted, I am writing this entry as I am watching the stage race, but I am thinking that Christopher will lose some time and will not be able to catch up to the “chase group”. Readers, we must remember that Vino has been injured and that is part of the problem of why he has not “shined” during the tour.

37.9 k to go to the finish line – the chase group caught the breakaway group. This was almost done entirely to the credit of Team Astana. The announcer’s best recognize who did the work. And not criticize the effort that, according to them, was a wasted effort. It was not. If you can do damage to one GC rider then the effort was well worth it. That brings one GC player out of the podium finish and perhaps brings their GC rider into the top ten.

Let me digress for a moment. As I was watching the tour I saw this commercial for Visa about quick pay. It was set to some classical music and consumer after consumer were using their Visa card and swiping the machine and their payment was quick. Then, another consumer pays with cash. The classical music in the background stops and then the narrator of the commercial comes on. Well, Visa is giving the impression that this “quick pay” is the way of life. Get the Fuck out of here! I will not let any union or non-union grocery clerk push me around. If I want to pay in cash – you damn sure will think no ill thoughts about that.

First of all, paying in cash will help alleviate the finance charges that may occur if you do not pay off the current balance. But, more importantly no one can track your purchases. Unless you readers are using those “King Sooper” “Safeway” cards for savings.

Visa wants to “paint” a picture that quick pay is something that you need. In reality, it is the people that are in front of you or the person that is scanning and bagging your items. It depends if the grocery person is experience or new. It also depends if this person know what the fuck he/she is doing. Yet, it also depends on the person that may be ahead of you in the check out line. He/she may be talking up a storm to the employee…

And now Back to the Tour de France

Vino - 3.9 K - Vino pulled ahead of the Peloton! That sight was amazing and yet I knew that it was for only a moment. I will not give up on Vino.

Christopher Moreau – 3:20 seconds behind the other “GC” leaders. Woo Hoo! This helps my pick Vino.

Now getting back to Visa Quick pay. Yes, I am sure it is a nice concept. But I am going to have to state for the record that this very, very unlikely for any consumer. If it is busy in the store and you are waiting in the line well you are in the hands of the person ahead of you. There is no control over this. If you readers think this then you must believe in the tooth fairy and the genie in the lamp.

I am the wild card in the line. No one rushes me in the grocery store. Hell. I do not even use the self-check out. Those grocery workers in the store are getting paid to help us the consumers. You readers must understand that. If you are checking yourself out and doing the transaction yourself then you should get a discount right? Or perhaps you are missing your calling and showing extraordinary skills to work at Grocery Store. Should there be a difference from me who has someone checks me out as opposed to do the checking out myself? I will stand in line and wait until I get serviced. Sure I might be thinking that he/she must do the checkout quicker, but I do not expect that type of service.

In closing, the benefits of Visa Quick pay is worthless, unless it is late at night or in the middle of nowhere. Or lets face it readers, you do not want to deal with the grocery employee.

And once again back to the Tour de France entry.

The end of the stage race Christophe Moreau lost out and never made the gap to the chase group. Even before the commentators said this was “payback” for the Christophe “moves” in the Alps – I knew it. We faithful Tour de France watchers know our riders we follow and of course the others that enter the picture during the tour. So, Vino destroyed Christophe by 3:20 seconds. Fuck ya!

“Payback time came in the shape of Astana using the coastal crosswinds to split a main chasing peloton, leaving Moreau in their wake.”

Tour de France - Stage 12 - Tom Boonen won the stage. I only watched the last 10 kilometers of the stage. Nothing really interesting to comment on-the breakaway group was caught at the last possible kilometre.

Tour de France - Stage 13 - Individual Time Trial. Well, the announcer and everyone else can just say "time trial" since there is no Team Time Trial anymore. Unless they want to hear themselves talk - then so be it. Okay, the stage was mostly rain and there were accidents galore. As I mentioned in my blog - I am still with Vino and more importantly I did not give up on him. I am with him until the end.

I have to say on what Vino did to the cycling field today was incredible. I am not sure how he did it, but more importantly is that he did do it. He decimated the time differences in the field between him and the "GC" classification list. In addition, Vino "stuck it" and basically say fuck you to Christophe Moreau. This was twice that Vino got the better of him and in my view drove the last nail into the coffin for Moreau. An addition 9:26 minutes were lost on this stage alone. Boo-yah!

Yes, this stage was time trial day at the "footsteps" of the Pyrenees. The rain was and did play a factor in today's stage race. Unfortunately, the latter half of the field, perhaps the last 15 riders or so did not have the roads all wet nor was the rain falling or sputtering. Most of the roads were almost dry by the time the last ten riders or so were nearing the finishing part of the course.

Michael Rasmussen did do a good ride. But let us remember he was the last rider to race and by then most of the road were dry, therefore he did not have to really worry about slick roads. Yes, I am sure that there was some worry since he knew there is some wet roads here and there. But more importantly, he was able to go at a faster rate of pedalling and have one thing less to worry about. So, before everyone thinks that Rasmussen did do a good time trial... well in my eyes he only did a so-so time trial. There is one more time trial stage, the last one before Paris and that was where he fucking blew up two years ago and let my main man - Jan Ulrich to get a third place podium finish for the Tour de France. I hate to say this, but I was rooting for, an unknown Rasmussen in 2005, to keep fucking up on this stage. This costly "fuck up" is so infamous that everyone from the great grandmother to their sister-cousin- best friend knows about how Mike Rasmussen lost a podium finish in Paris.

I am jumping ahead of myself.... so this stage 13 had a few crashes and some of the falls were very ugly looking. Cancellera, Kloden, Gusev to name a few riders went down on the road.

Today's picture is of a smiling Alexandre Vinokourov. As opposed to few days ago when the world witnessed the tears of Vino and his performance in the Alps, in no small part to Moreau. "Thank you very much."

Hah Hah readers I made myself laugh. You know what I have to do.

I know that the tour is far from over and a new day awaits, but I want to state and say "Get the fuck over yourself Paul and Phil!" These commentators said Vino's tour is over in the first and second week of the tour and now in the past few days these two are now saying that he has a chance. Talk about two two-faced Mary's. Al and Bob sort of said the same thing about Vino,but not as direct. I will not condone their actions. I know that Vino is a wild card and the next set of mountains awaits him and the other riders.

Tomorrow, we viewers will join the riders as they enter the Pyrenees - one Cat 2 climb and two HC Cat Climbs in the last 68 kilometres of the stage. The two HC's mountains are Usson-les-Bains and Chateau-de-Beille. The beginning of the stage has the cat 2 climb of Cote de St-Saraille.

Thanks to Vino for making everyone eat crow.
Or the R-rated version - Thanks to Vino for making everyone eat shit!

Or in the immortal words of my favorite "little" Southpark character.

"You just got F'd in the A!"

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: