Monday, February 02, 2009

A Good Deed Bestowed Upon Me

Greetings Readers

I do not believe in "pay it forward." Although, I do occasionally believe in "Thank you's" every once in a while. Whether or not it was just justified to say "Thank you" or it is an automatic response by saying "Thank you."

As I have listed my good deeds for the past two weeks I did the Good deeds without looking for a "Thank you" or even expecting for someone else to "pay it forward." I did my good deeds because I have done them before and this is nothing new for me. I will admit it is new for me to be blogging about the good deeds I do do.

After all, to the people (Readers) who say they "know me" really do not know me and apparently see only what they want to see or in the case of blogging - read.

I have listed the good deeds and yet no one who has commented in the past has commented their feelings on my kindness. But of course, I am not looking for one nor expecting any. Your comments are your comments and you are entitled to you comments. I do not delete the bad nor the goods, but the ones that have "please click here" and go to some one's web site for whatever I do delete. To me that is not a comment, but advertising.

If I have ever left a comment on your blog then you probably have caught my eye. For the good or the bad. And most of the comments I make come from experience or to make you aware you have a sad story, but in truth there is another side to the story..

But I digress. If anyone says something not good then there was a reason. Yet, if you can not comment on the good then perhaps you need to look at your values and way of thinking. I am not shrink, doctor, or even a position to tell it how it might be. In my opinion and this is pure speculation but perhaps you just hate me, perhaps you were beat up as a child, perhaps you have a tough life, as so goes the list.

Me, I comment, but I tell it how I see it and call it - Honesty. Most of us see, and me included, from one side, yet anytime one person sees it from a different angle and is brought their attention their natural instinct is defend themselves. From what I read time to time on blogs are one sided and often written to get sympathy, remorse or to agree with the blogger from anyone who reads their blog. Yet, most fail to see the other side of the story.

Getting back to Good deeds.

I was in Safeway this past weekend and I was hungry for Steak. I saw that there was a family pack of four thick NY Strips Steaks for about $ 21.00 and it was hook, line and sinker when I saw that deal. I also saw that there was a sale for Coca-Cola. Three 12-packs for about $ 7.99, which is a pretty darn good deal these days. I grabbed the three 12 packs and then headed off to the check out line.

I got into the express lane and waited. There was lady in front of me, but I did not acknowledge her. I just put my stuff down and started looking at the Magazine covers and Tabloid covers that were in check out lane from where I was standing.

From the corner of my eye I saw the lady look/glance at me a few times, but I did not acknowledge her. Perhaps about 20 seconds later she says "Excuse me."

"Yes?" I say politely and questionably

"I see that you drink Coca-Cola."

"Yes" I replied

"Well, in front of the store near the entrance there is a store flyer that has a coupon, which is not advertised, but the coupon will get you another 12 pack for free."

"Really. thanks" I said. "I am riding a bike and three 12 packs is about my limit for carrying on my bike"

"OK"

Then, I thought about what she mentioned for about 15 seconds or so. And I thought to myself - and extra 12 pack. Damn, I can get the fourth 12 pack home somehow.

"Excuse me. Could you watch my stuff while I get a flyer please?" I asked the lady in front of me.

She smiled "Yes of course"

I ran up to the entrance and then back to my place in line. I started to rip out the coupon when the lady asked me if I wanted to borrow her scissors.

"Oh wow. yes Thank you"

And that was pretty much the conversation and the good deed done by a total stranger. Again, I was not looking for "Pay it forward" event, but I would have to admit perhaps this could be considered a "pay it forward" moment for the good deeds I did that week. Did any stranger "pay it forward" to you last week for any good deeds you did the previous week?

Instead of paying 2.66 per 12-pack for three - I paid $ 2.00 for four 12-packs. Pretty darn good. Not to mention that I got 10 extra Coca-Cola points for free to log and use on mycokerewards.com

If I was the rudest person you have ever known would you have even mentioned the coupon deal to me?

By the way Readers, I repeatedly said thank you to the lady for mentioning the coupon for the free 12 pack. After all, that was a very nice thing to point out to another human being.

P.S. Readers - the picture is the picture taken this past Sunday of me at the finish line at the Super Bowl 5k. And the other picture is my official results/stats.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: