Monday, June 16, 2008

The Happening

Greetings Readers

I guess I did not tell you readers, but I did see "the Happening" on Sunday. I had pretty much resigned to take Sunday off, though I did want to ride once more. Especially on how my showing at the Greenwood Goosechase went the previous day. What also kept me from riding the day away was the fact that I got that serious cramp during the race. It was and was not a cramp, but darn close enough to make the muscle sore after loosing up the cramp, should had it went that far. So to be safe I decided to make Sunday a rest day.

With that in mind it was decided that I was going to the movie theatre. And this time this movie had better be better than Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.


I did go into the movie with an open mind and no bias nor expecting something. I just wanted to know what the movie was going to be about and hopefully this will make me not think that I spent twenty bones on another movie (movie ticket, popcorn and drinks). It is getting way too expensive to see a movie for just seeing a movie these days.

Matter of fact, I think I might have mentioned this, but I can not justify spending ten to twenty dollars at a movie theatre when I can go to, for example, Best Buy and buy one to four movies for the same amount and have the ability to own the movie and watch anytime and any amount for as long as I have the movie. That is really the only way that I look at a movie in the theatre. Unless, the movie being shown is "the movie" that you must see. Otherwise, I can wait til DVD.

Getting off track once more. No spoilers to mention on "the Happening" so readers you will be okay to read the post to the end.

I liked the way the movie started. It took us movie watchers not even five minutes to start to get into "the Happening." None of this pre-stuff that really is a waste. Character development came later and was not stressed in this movie as other movies when the director spends 15 minutes or so of the movie before even starting the movie. I know this particular paragraph sounds confusing, but I do not know how else to word it.

I was pretty well content throughout the movie. No real dull spots, movie moved along coherently, and more importantly the movie did not break "the laws of nature" or "laws of sense"

I.e. - Like the prairie dogs in Indiana Jones. If anyone knows Prairie Dogs - Prairie dogs are not "munching" away at a meal in the darkness at night or even after sundown. They are down in their burrows protecting themselves from predators of the dark / night or sleeping. So, when Indiana Jones and the bad guy are on the rocket rail car rocketing across the desert at night with the many, and I mean many, prairie dogs sitting near their burrows eating away and watching the rocket car rocket across in front of them, did not make sense. Yes, I know it is a movie and I know that this particular scene is suppose to be funny, but it is literally impossible for a prairie dog(s) to do that in real life. So, when I saw that scene I was not laughing since I know that it is highly impossible - it just can not happen. I just shook my head in disbelief and silently said "I can not believe this".

Getting back to "the Happening" - the ending was acceptable. I did like the movie, but I think I really liked the movie because it was so much better than Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. And no, I am not saying that "the Happening" was bad - as my friend asked me on Monday -"What grade would you give the movie?" Well, I said a B- or a B
And the picture posted is probably the scene that got me involved into the movie- touching.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete.

No comments: