Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Run the Register 2007 - (The Story)

Greetings People

The Run the Register event was a so-so event. This was the second annual time for the event at the “Register” building and a first time for me.

I did not have a clue nor did I know to train for this event. For the past three months I have been sidelined inside because of all the snow and ice that has been on the sidewalks and streets. I can not risk falling down in the snow and breaking a leg or arm or something else.

So, about two weeks ago I picked up a guide for events this year that are scheduled and I saw that this event was going to be this weekend. I played with the idea and wondered how the event was going to be.

With running if you get tired you just run, but it could be a sloppy run, but you can make yourself go, since there is really no exertion except putting one foot in front of the other. With climbing steps my thoughts were if you get tired or whatever you could stop, but you really can not just putter along. You will need to exert force to climb the next step even though you may be tired.

With that thought of logic I knew that I did not want to fail and have to give up on the steps. With a week of training to go (actually only 2 days of training) I decided to go to the local junior high school and practice climbing the stone steps on the bleachers. It was difficult and I was beat. I would like to say that I ran up and down for 15 minutes, but I think in reality it was only a few minutes. I got the idea though and with that I decided to register for the event on Friday.

I was given number 5800 and the start time of 1:04 pm. The event started at 8:00 am and my start time was near the end of the event. The starting time I could care less about. The “plus side” I got out of a later start time was I did not have to get up early.

The day was pretty, not warm, not cold, but a slight chill in Centennial. Though when I got downtown the air was cooler and the wind was blowing.

Inside the building was a mess. People here and there, music was blaring near the entrance and booths were set up in the lobby. I saw the starting area and asked what I needed to do.

I headed over to the bag tag area and got out of warm-up pants and jacket. I stripped down to my Southpark Jersey and running shorts. Instantly, I got the “that’s an awesome jersey” and “I love your jersey”. That put a smile immediately on my face and I also stood an inch higher with pride that I am getting the attention that I need or, to be blunt, I yearn for.

I was nervous a bit so I headed down to the restroom to relieve myself so I do not get any urges on the climb.

I then got to the starting area and was told this and that and whenever I was ready to go – do this. So, I was a bit nervous, hopping from leg to leg, loosening up and getting myself psyched up for the climb. They saw I was a bit nervous and said go when I am ready. There was no one going or waiting so I took another minute or so to get better pumped.

“Okay I am ready” and then I swiped my wrist across a timing mat and took off down the hallway.

I was running up the stairs pretty fast. Even though the website said not to do this since you will get tired out quicker. I did the opposite and not because I was trying to be a “rebel”. I knew that if I did not run out full I was not going to run later since the climb will sap the strength to run later. I had thought I better save something for the very end of the climb, but again I am thinking that there is not going to be any saved strength at the very end. Any sort of quick climb at the end will have to come from somewhere deep in my heart and soul.

I estimate about 8 floors later I was slowing down pretty quick from a run and not to mention I was getting vertigo climbing. I was looking at a point while climbing, but the fixation did not help. I was taking the in view from the side and that is what I think that started the vertigo. So, with me slowing down I think that was the best since the vertigo stopped when my speed slowed and I was not turning each flight quickly.

The stairwell was cool, but I knew that I was going to build up a sweat or definitely raise my inner core temperature to where the coolness of the stairwell would not even be a factor.

I think that around 14th floor I saw the first aid station and I heard “How are you doing?” With me breathing heavily already I had said “this is fucking tougher than I thought it was going to be” with a smile on my face. He responded that I was not the first to say that.

Mind you while I was climbing I was looking at the numbers posted outside each door of the floor. That was a mistake. I kept doing the math in my head and thinking that I have 40 floors to go, 39 floors to go, etc. So, I stopped looking at the numbers each floor.

I felt myself going to stop, but I was “power” climbing. There was no more running at all and at that time I knew there was not going to be any running since I was exerting a lot of energy and was not thinking about saving any energy for the end.

As I climbed higher and higher more aid stations were here and there. I also saw some paramedics at some of the other floors.

Higher and higher I went until the stairwell ended and we had a short hallway to another stairwell up.

Then, I heard someone was approaching from below me. For the life of me I did not want to be passed by someone on the climb. I wanted to say on Monday morning that I did not get passed by anyone.

So, I was breathing good and my stride up the steps were controlled now since I had figured out a method of climbing. Round and round climbing and then I saw from the corner of my eye that the other person was right there. That was motivation enough. I found an inner strength within me a climbed with power in my thighs. I soon left him behind and I could no longer see or hear him below me. Instead I heard someone above me. Lo and behold there were three people standing off the side of the stairwell around the 42nd floor. Wow. I even dug deeper since I knew the top was there and other person was still below me, but where.

The 47th floor and I was out of wind and the lactic acid buildup in my thigh muscles were on fire. I mean on fire. I have not felt this sort of burn for a long time. The 47th floor hallway was littered with other climbers drinking and catching their breath. Meanwhile I did not want to be there with them so I handed over my timing chip and headed out into another area

At that point, I was rewarded with a medal and a view of North Denver that was wow. I stood in line for a photograph, and I got two done and then stood around for a few minutes. What I also noticed where some firefighter in full gear (minus axes) that were standing around. So, some of these guys did the climb in their gear. Pretty neat training I thought.

I was listening to some of them talking and I was smiling on what I heard.

I headed to the elevator since that was the only option to get down. No climbing down the stairs where allowed.

Out in the building lobby almost all the booths were packed up and gone and the few that were left were packing up. I grabbed some items there, a couple of “Monster” drinks and then headed down to the Atrium to get my back and goody bag. I tried to get something to eat from Subways, but all that was left were veggie sandwiches or sandwiches with turkey. There was nothing close to a cold cut combo so I said no to any food and proceeded to go ahead and leave.

That about sums up the event. Yes, I did have fun.

But, the T-shirt from the event was only available if you raise 47 dollars more that the registration fee. I thought that was a load of crap. 47 dollars for a T-shirt was not going to fly for me. Instead, I went over to the movie poster place I usually visit when I am downtown and bought a $ 20.00 Movie poster (subway size) of "The Big Lewbowski” which I now have hanging 0n my dining room wall overlooking the dining room table. Then, I spent the rest of my money on a new Oakley lens, which I got at Cherry Creek Mall later that afternoon. Pretty cool – red frame with blue iridium lens.

If the T-shirt was made available for a better price, lets say $ 20.00 then I would have gotten one. Readers, we serious runners/participants only wear T-shirts when our good clothes are in the laundry. We have special clothing we wear when we train and also when we do the official events. $ 47.00 dollars would have been wasted on a T-shirt that would not of even seen the light of day or public. The event organizers need to understand that. Oh well, my loss for not buying a T-shirt. And it is their loss for not making the price more reasonable since I bought other things that day that would bring just cause for spending the money in the first place.

If the T-shirt making cost for the event was pricy then they need to shop around and find a better place to do the printing of the shirts

And before any of you readers say the money goes for a good cause. I do not disagree, but if you are me and you sponsor and raise all monies for all events that go to causes - I contribute more than I can write off for taxes the following year. How many of you can say that? So, I pick and choose and have earned the right to contribute what money for what causes.

Readers, this is another subject I could go on with, but we can save that for a later blog.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: