Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Past - The Wonder Years

Greetings Readers

I was watching TV last night and as I flipping through the channels I saw an old TV show.

Readers, with me being out on vacation the past week I was not here for Sunday, hence I was unable to get the Sunday paper with the TV guide.

So, I have to resort to channel surfing or using the compact TV guide on channel 99. I saw an old TV show from high school that I used to watch. The Wonder Years. I think that many of you older readers might remember the show. I loved the show. And not just because of Olivia D'Abo. Although, I enjoyed every minute of it when she was on the episode.

So, last night's episode was about the Kevin and his family taking the family summer vacation. This was also probably the last vacation that the entire family was going to take together since Karen was off to college the following year.

Kevin's Dad, Jack, wanted for everyone to have fun, but he was having a hard time since Wayne and Karen were complaining left and right. Also, the cost of the vacation was something that he noticed. So, this and that through the episode until the end - which brings me to why I have to blog about this.

Kevin had just saw the last of his "Summer vacation" romance leave for home and then Kevin turned around on the beach and he saw his entire Family walking together on the beach. The family had bonded at this moment. I can not say if family "bickering" or what have you is common among families, but yes I do argue about this and that, I point out this and that, but in the end there is that moment that we, as a family, are "together" for a moment.

Do I have scene like that? Hmmm. I am not sure, but I think that the closest thing that I can probably relate to is me waking up on the couch at my parent's house. The sounds of early morning and the coming of a new day and just being on the couch is sort of a family thing I would relate to being together. And it is not confined to the couch, but also to the area where we have our ranch. I am not saying that it is a safe feeling, but something that I would relate to being content. Kevin was also happy that his family is together, which is probably another reason why I enjoyed the scene. I am not saying that my family is in danger of spliting up, but knowing that the family can be together is a nice, comforting feeling.

The Wonder Years. What a good show that I enjoyed when going to school. Some of the show, that I can remember, were very good. I loved the simplicity of the themes when the show aired. I also liked Kevin's interest - Winnie Cooper. Most guys would say that they knew someone like Winnie. I would say that I did also, but I would not compare Kevin's exploits against mine. There were some moments that I could relate to a T.

I never had a friend like Kevin's best friend - What was his name - Paul? I guess that means I will have to watch the show in the time slot that I ran into last night.

Yes readers, I watched the entire hour that was devoted to the wonder years. There was nothing on the I wanted to see so I just watch the episodes and tried to remember what I saw years and years ago. I think that the episodes were on the channel called "Ion". I think, that I might have to make this a regular thing for me. I am also going to check the stores to see if any of the seasons have been released on DVD. I would not mind paying $ 20 to $40 for a season's worth of episodes.

The narrator is Daniel Stern, which I never knew until years later after the show had ended. I could care less about him as an actor. He is funny, but not in a comic way that I find funny. However, his narration is far from his acting and I felt what Kevin was probably thinking when Daniel was narrating. That was Daniel's best work ever, as far as I can deduce. Without the Narration I probably would have never watched the show.

Okay readers, I guess that was enough of the Wonder Years.

SouthPark: Once more - different. Good, but not a great episode last night. The theme was about "the Homeless". Yet, I thought it was funny when Cartman and his jump(ing) over the homeless. And how everyone thought Kyle cared about this event. That Cartman.

The previous week was sort of messed up. I liked the episode. Sort of a play by play of the movie "300" (Technically, the slow motion action sequences that 300 employed). Anyway, I had to laugh at myself because I missed a joke. In the episode there is this bar "Les Beaus" I think that was the name. With me familiar with the French Language I was thinking about the masculine/feminine word associated to the word. I was thinking of the pronunciation of Les - which sounds like the English word "Lay" and I was assuming "Les" was the "Les" in front of the Beaus. But no! Throw out the French you readers may or may not know and put those words together and say as one word Lesbeaus. I am not going to type the slang word, but I think you readers know the word that is there. Hence, that is why I had to laugh at myself not getting it. All the signs were there, but I missed this simple play on words. Hah hah.

My time is up and I guess I better get going.

until the next time readers.

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: