Friday, April 20, 2007

From SouthPark to the Bering Sea

Greetings People

I was doing a bit of internet surfing last night and I happen to find myself thinking about Cartman. I often portray him as the person we all know he is, but occasionally he will do something that makes you go hmm. But wait. Even though we may be stunned, for a moment anyway, we realized that he did it for the benefit for him.

Such as the case with this picture I found last night on the Comedy central website.

Sure perhaps most of you readers know this episode - "Smugness" This is toward the end of the show and Cartman had just rescued the Brofloski's (Kyle, Ike & their parents) from San Francisco with the help of Butters. So, after the Chaos happened and people are wondering, even the Brofloski's are wondering how they got back to SouthPark on a bus. The scene switches to the above picture and I see Cartman putting his finger to his lips indicating that Butters needs to keep quiet. Cartman was non-chalant, no emotion, but being secretive. Cartman wants everyone else think that a Guardian Angel was watching over them. When I first saw the episode I was laughing because this is so unlike Cartman. In a normal world, Cartman would be bragging and trying to get the credit for anything good, or bad in someone Else's view. But he held his tongue and I was shocked. Cartman surprised me. And Butters, so far, has kept his mouth shut. Even thinking about it now somehow Cartman did something could bring a lump to someone's throat thinking about the "deed" he did.

In a strange way, either I would have done something similar or perhaps Cartman was mimicing something I have done and I could relate to Cartman not being "an Ass" for a moment.

But. Oh yes. Cartman did not do the deed out of goodness of his heart. He did it because he missed his friend, Kyle, and knew somehow deep in himself he could not live without Kyle. So, in the last minute or so of the show, after the "ssshhhh" to Butters Kyle says something then Cartman talks back to Kyle and then Kyle gets pissed off and curses at Cartman and then storms off. Cartman is left and say something to the effect "Ah back to normal" or something like that. Cartman knew that he needed Kyle in order to make his life content by making Kyle mad at him. Cartman's deed of saving the Brofloski's was to benefit him and not them.

Anyway, I thought I had to blog on this picture. Yes, it still does have an effect on me and I still think it is funny. Readers, I want to point out that I am not exactly like Cartman, but I often see some of me in him or him in me. I get "bent" about some things that I should not, I am thinking about myself at most times, and so forth. But seeing Cartman for the past three years I have started to relate some thing in my life to what Cartman has done, whether before or after I see him doing something that makes you shake your head in disbelief.

Chick Fil A - On Wednesday evening, I stopped by my local Chick Fil A and decided to get some Sweet Tea. Even though it was a bit busy and my man was working the Drive through window he went out of the way to get my Sweet Tea for me. I did not even notice him getting my Sweet Tea since I knew he was busy with orders at the window. Someone else did help me at the register, but I was more than surprised that he got my gallon of Sweet Tea for me. Once more I had a nice evening after that thinking about how I can go to a place and someone knows what I want without asking for what I want.

I got caught up on the fourth episode of Season Three - The Deadliest Catch from Tuesday. Not much really happened. Some secrets were not kept, retaliation was made. A couple of jokes. But, the previews for next week's episode shows a man going overboard.

Which brings me to this - Last night, flipping through the channels (remember no TV guide for this week), I was watching one of the news shows on Cable and I happened upon Zig and Edgar from the Northwestern Crab Boat being interviewed by someone I did not know. The Northwestern ship is my favorite on the show and I was very happy to see them. They talked about the show and then the man going overboard. The show I watched showed who and what happened so I already know what happened after. Even though the clip was short, I was still in awe of the guy that went overboard and felt emotional for the guy. Then when the Captain, Sorry readers I am not going to give the ship's name, Captain or the overboard guy away, came running to see the man they just rescue from the ocean it was a pretty emotional scene. Hugging, cursing, nervous laughing, everything okay but close to death conversation, I could help thinking about how close this guy was to death and obviously being film right there as opposed to being after it happened. I guess I feel this way, because I have invested my time with the Deadliest Catch and they are just not a name, but a person with me.

Alright readers, sort of a unusual blog to end a week with, but somehow I felt compelled to blog about these items.

Hope you readers have a nice weekend.

until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: