Thursday, April 05, 2007

The Bracelet

Greetings People

I am not sure where or what to talk about. I have some ideas, but they require some more thinking. The other thoughts are just thoughts and really is not interesting info to blog about. Oh here is random subject matter by the seat of my pants...

The Livestrong bracelet. I think that most of you readers know what I am talking about. If not, then I will tell you. This is a yellow, rubber-like bracelet that supports the L. Armstrong Foundation, I think. Or perhaps it is research. I do not know. Let's be honest, I really do not care. I support the Komen Foundation and that is enough for me. Well, I support other foundations and causes throughout the year, so do not rush to judge me on not supporting the "other" foundation. More than likely I have contributed more than you have done your entire life. So shut up until you have contributed, money that is, to any of the foundations more than I have. Volunteer work does not count. Sorry.

So, the Livestrong bracelet is "the Bracelet". A few years back it was the bracelet that was the "fad" of everyone. Anyway, during that brief time everyone I saw had that bracelet. I have nothing against you wearing that bracelet nor telling everyone you are helping cancer out. However, do not ask me why I do not have a bracelet nor why will I not wear one. Yes, I know that you can get the bracelet for a dollar, I think. But that is besides the point. I contribute and I do not need some sort of reminder to show everyone that I "proudly" support cancer. When in fact I contribute about $ 50.00 to $ 150.00 a year to cancer (Komen) I do not tell anyone that I contributed X amount of dollars. Just the knowing that I contributed the money is good enough for me.

I do not care if you contributed a dollar to Livestrong and want to tell everyone. Fine. Just leave me out of your new found joy. The reason why I will not wear the bracelet is everyone and their grandmother has one. It is kind of like your mom asking you "If all your friends jumped off the bridge would you do the same thing? Hell no. Yes, I am not a fan of Lance A. and I have a lot of opinions and views that would "piss off" a lot of his followers. But by no means that the reason why I will not wear a bracelet. Again, I reiterate, I could care less if you are wearing one or not. I am not going to give you a hard time, nor express what I think about the bracelet. I am behind you 100 %. But if you decide to explain or hassle me about the bracelet then "it is on."

Now, there is every type of color of bracelet and you can color coordinate to the outfit you might be wearing that day - red, blue, green, etc. Again, I have not and nor would I ever wear any type of bracelet like the Livestrong Bracelet. Yes, you could give me one and I will display the bracelet at home on my bookshelf, but I will not wear the bracelet.

Sorry about the fragmented paragraphs, but I was blogging on the get-go. I had not thought about putting together this subject matter.

Sorry so late readers, but did any of you readers see those earrings that Serena Williams had on her lobes during the Women's final of the 2007 Sony Ericsson Open? In my humble opinion, it was over the top. I do not know if her play was affective by the earrings, but I doubt it since she has almost always wore "outlandish" styles of earrings. And in some cases, controversial. Yes, this was back in the day of Hingis vs. Williams rivalry's.

until the next time.

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: