Friday, August 31, 2007

An August Morning Bike Crash


Greetings Readers

"Son of a bitch!"

Life is funny. So there I was this morning with Rebecca going to work. We were turning the corner and lo and behold we went horizontal. Fuck me.

In the movies - when the people in the movies see an accident coming or happen they say something funny or smart like saying "This is going to hurt" or "Hope you can kiss your ass goodbye."

However. Not with me. I fucking cuss going down and even during the event. "Son of a bitch" and the ever so elegance Mother F word. So there I was going horizontal, with Tiesto's song "Dance4Life" thrumming loudly and the morning sun ever so bright shining this morning. I was holding onto my handlebars breathing easily and waiting for the cold concrete crash that awaited me. Yes. Holding on baby! You do not want your arms hands to do anything else because you could twist, break, sprain, your arm/hand if you are trying to break your fall. My MO is to hold and curl up in a fetal position and hope for the best. It is funny that I can remember those few seconds so clearly. Well, I can tell you readers that landing was not picture perfect. I hit hard and bounced a foot then skidded another foot or so.

"Fuck me" was what I said after I got up. I really got hurt. Er... I am hurt. Even now on my lunch break my left thigh and outer left bicep are throbbing. I got a deep gash on my outer ankle (you know that bump down there) and right above my elbow is going to another road rash scar. Well, probably road rash on top of another road rash scar. Fuck me.

I was a bit shaken. So I half walked to the side of the road to compose myself. This was and I guess still a beautiful Friday to the beginning of a 3 day weekend, but dang I went down when I should not have.

The tires that I have on are really new about 250 miles or so on them. Perhaps I leaned to far into the turn and my new tires lost traction on the smooth concrete and that is what caused my accident. I looked at where I went down and I did not see any liquids or anything else that could of caused me to fall down. I think I better buy my Pro Michelin tires that I always buy (every now and then Hutchinsen tires). You know when you buy the best you feel safe.

Anyway, I walked my post-accident off a few feet and then got back on the bike and continued my journey to work.

By the way readers, I did not get the 42 " LCD TV. But I did get the Colorado Athlete Club membership. So, if any of you see me walking/cycling with my nose way up in the air. You now know the reason why.

The picture is of me years ago during the start of the Courage Classic that is held in the Rocky Mountains over a three day period.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: