Wednesday, August 08, 2007

An August Rain Drenching


Greetings Readers

Damn, Damn, Damn. I looked out the office window last night and I see that the afternoon / evening predicted rainstorm is right there coming in from the Rocky Mountains. I knew that I was skirting the line of being wet or dry for the bike ride home. That was also why I rode Tracey yesterday as opposed to Rebecca.

With the threat of getting wet I finished up for the day and then headed downstairs to change into my biking gear. Well, in five minutes I guess the heavens opened up and it was pouring. Not just raining or whatnot, but pouring. "Oh Shit" I said and shaking my head with a smile on my lips. I did not want to wait this storm out so out the parking garage I go and immediately I was drenched. Drenched. Thankfully with all the humidity in the air I felt the rain was warm to the skin. I started biking home and the rain was not letting up. "Sucks to be me."

Overall, I was in a good mood. No sense for me to be in a bad mood for being caught in the rain. If I did that I would be sending myself to an early grave, metaphorically speaking. The street gutters were overflowing and I was literally riding in all the water that was going to the street drains. I then decided to get onto the sidewalks since I have my new 2 month old rims on. I know the routes I go home and know where the potholes, cracks, and other things that could ride into, but with the water flowing so heavy I could not see the street/road. I decided I would take my time home and be safe with my rims.

That I mean is once you are soaked to the bone, there is no sense in riding as fast as possible home nor is there a reason to take cover from the rain. You are wet and that's that.
With that mentality I decided to stop by the Grocery store and buy some Salsa and Spaghetti stuff in order to make some home made Salsa and Spaghetti last tonight. The rain had eased up by the time I got to the store and when I walked in the store, the Air Conditioning in the store made me very, very cold. I could feel the cold easing into every part of my body since I was wet, wet.

I only spent 5 to 10 minutes in the store, but by the time I got to the check out lane my teeth were chattering (and I could not stop!) and I tried moving my body as little as possible. Why? Well, every time that I moved my bike jersey fabric would adjust and I would feel the cold on the part of the fabric that was not against my skin. Oh. The bike shorts were okay since they were molded, snugged against my body. Once I stepped outside the store I was warm immediately and the rain had stopped. The sun made an appearance and as I was biking home west I felt the sun's heat and saw the evening sunset about to begin. The sun's light was an autumn yellow and in full radiance. Yes, there were rain clouds here and there in the sky, but my view was clear.

To top off the evening there in my mailbox was the new CD I order by Tiesto - In Search of Sunrise 4 Latin America. I popped open the new CD and have been listening to the CD for the past 18 hours. Nope, I have not had the chance to get onto the Ipod.

This morning on CNN and Fox News I saw that the Shuttle launch of the Endeavour (Endeavor) is scheduled for 6:36 PM, but not sure which time zone. I would assume EST, since that is where the launch is being held. When I mentioned last month about the Shuttle Challenger I did not know that this launch was scheduled nor did I know that it had ties to the Columbia. Christa McAuliffe's back up is going to be on this launch 21 years later. It was sad for me to see the video's of Christa they were showing on Fox News. Anyway, I hope for a safe launch, mission and re-entry.

"Morgan, a former McCall, Idaho schoolteacher, has waited and worked through 22 years and two shuttle accidents for her planned evening launch aboard Endeavor. She first joined NASA in 1985 as the backup for New Hampshire high school teacher Christa McAuliffe, the first Teacher in Space who died with six other astronauts during the 1986 Challenger tragedy"

Pictured is the Endeavor before the launch. What a picture for me.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: