Monday, August 13, 2007

Cherry Creek Reservoir in August


Greetings readers

Yesterday was the day to take Rebecca out for a ride. Saturday was good too, but I made Sunday the day.

I got up early Sunday and took Tracey along and we went to the store to get some breakfast material and the Sunday Denver Post.

Readers - Am I suppose to assume that is "Lola Granola" in Opus? I think that would be her, but what would she be doing there? I might have to do a bit of research, if possible. Or I am going to have to wait until more information surrounds this Lola.

Me and Rebecca headed out to Cherry Creek Reservoir to do a couple of laps. Low intensity and high intensity, depending on how I felt when I got the reservoir. Oh yes, the day was already hot, but more importantly - NO Humidity! I grabbed a couple of Mountain Blast Powerade drinks from the gas station and that was all I needed. I had my Santa Fe Century jersey on today. I wanted to be bright. Readers! I was pertaining to physically bright since I know that I am mentally bright. Period. So there I was in the orange and yellow jersey with the Sunday shining ever so brightly. You probably could not look at me directly with the sun light reflecting off my jersey. LOL. Anyway, I decided to ride into Cherry Creek and see how it goes. I was not in the mood to start off fast.

The wind was blowing lightly, in from the East. I saw many riders going the opposite direction, which was good. Any time I see a rider in front or pass me that competitive side comes out from within me. Me and Rebecca were just keeping a nice pace and getting the feel of each other out at the Reservoir. We managed a nice gingerly pace on the first lap of the Creek.

Second lap, me and Rebecca were passed by a rider, with a few pounds on, at a reasonable pace, but by no means flying. We watched him get ahead then I heard the gears of the bike (through my earphones) and see the rider move his hand down to the down tube of his bike. No way. Old school. Me and Rebecca were not going to be passed by an out of shaping, non-looking, rider on an old school bike. We picked up the pace and within 50 yards we were in the slipstream, drafting, the rider. We drafted for about 2 miles or so. Yes, we enjoyed the 18 mph draft and definite slow paced pedalling we were doing. As oppose to him pedalling away. Sure he looked back twice, but I made no effort.

Sorry readers, me and Rebecca had no reason to do any work at the front. Sure in hell I took full advantage of the "free" ride. He did not seem concern about me and Rebecca drafting him. If he did he would of slowed down and made us pass. Then after about 2 1/2 miles he was turning left as oppose to going straight, which was the way me and Rebecca had to go.

Then, the last four miles we were passed by another rider, more hard core looking, and that was the time to draft once more. Well, we played catch up and then we reached a 4 way intersection, but a 3 way stop with one right of way (no stop sign).

This is what separates the people who give riders a bad name for breaking the law. All three of us were approaching the stop sign and yes we are required to stop. The only people who have the right of way that do not have to stop is the people coming into Cherry Creek Reservoir. There is truck turning South, which is the way we were biking. At the same time there is a few vehicles stopped going East. This rider in front of us decided to "cut behind" the person waiting at the stop sign going East. While about 6 to 10 vehicles were turning left, right or going straight.

As much as I wanted to do the same thing. I did not. That is breaking the law, not to mention, giving another reason why cars/trucks "hate" cyclists. I waited for about 2 minutes (until everyone abide the law) and then me and Rebecca took off. Two minutes ahead of us and the guy in front could ride. We "dropped the hammer" and decided this was going to be last lap at the Creek and give what we could to catch this law-breaker. There are twists and turns, trees, and shrubs all along the route so could not really see very far in front of us. Our average for the first mile was about 30 to 31 mph. About mile and a half we saw the "red" jersey of him in the distance. Not a speck, but very far. I bet his speed was about 20 mph, Needless to say, the red jersey was getting closer to us, but we could not close the distance within the exit/entrance on the South side of Cherry Creek. I would estimate about 75 yards, but we were exhausted for really giving all we could in those last four miles.

All in all, we worked up a sweat and tried our best to catch up within the distance we had. No loss since we obeyed the law and waited our turn at the stop sign. The other rider was in the wrong for doing what he did. Would I have done that? Yes, a long time ago, but now I know better and more wise about riding. Otherwise, it felt good with all the adrenaline and lactic acid in the muscle, not to mention sweat pouring off my face. I was breathing heavy, but all so good. =) That my friends is one of many reasons why I ride.

Me and Rebecca finished up our ride with a post ride drink on the steps of the Arapahoe marketplace with a cold Coca Cola from the vending machine outside Albertson's. Boo-yah.

Update 08/14/07 : I added a picture of the location of the intersection in question in Cherry Creek Reservoir State Park. Yes, this pertains to this blog's entry. Yet, this is a daily occurrence on almost every rider who thinks they do not have to stop.

until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: