Saturday, August 11, 2007

A Very Nice August Surprise


Greetings Readers

Let me take you off the beaten path - for a bit. Not that this is something new.

There I was last Sunday, up before dawn, with the fan going on the window sill blowing in the early morning air. Yes, cool air, but not as cool as it is going be in a month. Pretty soon I will be putting in the fan away for the summer. I digress.

I was enjoying the coming of a new day and the faint blue glow on the horizon that indicates that dawn is approaching. I was pondering what I was going to do for the day, but I was pretty well limited. Why? Well, I had to be in my glasses since my eyes were acting up. Yes, I wear contacts and something was irritating them this morning. I thought this was going to be a day to just stay home and do some things that I have putting off for a while.

I stood out on the balcony looking to the East and listening to the birds starting to chirp and sing in the coming of a new day. Beyond those sounds I can hear the automatic water sprinklers "click, click, click" and the faint gurgling of a water fountain nearby. Nothing out of the ordinary. For me very soothing. I am also not alone on the balcony - I have Heidi. Poor Heidi. With Rebecca being the new woman in my life and Tracey now being the girl who I go out with regularly Heidi is hardly in the picture anymore. Heidi is not forgotten in my book. She has stories to tell and yet to tell.

Why this particular account? Nothing really and I can not give you a reason why readers that I elected to tell you. I am not going to say that this a regular thing I do every day, but it is something I do almost every day. Nope. I do not drink coffee out on the balcony, but I do have a Coca Cola or Sweet Tea from Chik-fil-A. This of course does not count the bottle of beer, glass of wine or Frozen Margarita that I have on the balcony at other times. I have to say that this is favorite place that I go and it is also the favorite place in my humble little abode. With the kitchen right behind in my list of favorite places.

I progress in time and an hour later - I came back from the store with some breakfast materials and the Sunday Denver Post. This is also something of a weekend ritual. Breakfast and the paper. Some say that print is dead. I disagree. I still enjoy the paper and I hate to say this, but I fucking like looking at the Sunday Ads. Yes, pretty shallow. I like to see what is out there and what is possible to buy. I do not dream. If I see something that I want I will get or save up and get. But, beyond looking at the ads, I also like the Sunday Comics. Granted, paper industries are shrinking the comic size and getting rid of other comics readers are not reading anymore, but I still buy the Sunday Paper.

I did enjoy the Sunday paper more, but with the newspaper industry shrinking the TV guide it is worthless. The TV guide is very thin and they have put in Monday thru Friday on two pages and then sub categories for Morning, Afternoon and Overnight. The only details that they have left alone was the weekend programming and evening program. Otherwise, most of the listings have "Varied programs" which helps shit to me when I need to set my VCR and/or DVD recorder to tape a show/movie. Again, I digress.

I grabbed the first section of the Sunday comics that is always covered with an "Ads flyer" so you have to open to page 2 to start reading the Comics. I opened the paper and I see my favorite Sunday comic second from the top of the page. "Opus". Opus is a character from Bloom County, which is a comic that I grew up with. Berkeley Breathed is the creator. Bloom County was/is funny and I still have numerous original clippings from newspapers of the comic stored in a box. (I am recalling from memory so forgive me readers if a name is spelled wrong) Steve Dallas, Milo, Bill the Cat, John Cutter, Hodge Podge, Portney, Rosebud, Milquetoast(?) Binkley and one of another my all time favorite characters - Oliver Wendell Jones.

I have to admit I did not breathe for a couple of seconds. There was the nighttime galaxy, a huge telescope and sitting next to the telescope with his glasses on - Oliver. (Pictured on my blog today) Oliver Wendell Jones. I also got a lump in my throat and perhaps a bit watering of my eyes. I was extremely happy seeing my old friend. Yes, I consider this cartoon character my friend - a true friend. Oliver looked the same, but with the coloring and shading of the Comic it appears that there is grey in his hair, which would make sense. But it is not, just the shading to give the night and comic some definition. I read the first pane slowly and continued to do so throughout the comic. Oliver was discussing, er doing all the talking to Binkley, Steve Dallas's son and Opus (the usual suspects). Oliver was making us think about things and make us wonder. That was/is Oliver to a T.

Tis the little things that make us happy. I am so glad Oliver finally made an appearance. As well as Binkley did on/around Memorial Day of this year. That was even more touching because of the mood of the comic and topic. Opus was doing what I would be doing if I could. Two new/old characters have made an appearance in Opus within four months is so, as a former co-worker would say, "awesome". Prior to these two characters we have also been re-introduced to Steve Dallas and Bill the Cat.

Thank you Mr Breathed. I am a loyal fan and you have continued to keep me entertained and bring a bit of joy to my life. I am not disappointed that this is a Sunday only tradition. Yes, I want more, but I am not complaining at all. Something is better than nothing - in the particular case.

This entry took more than that I thought it would so I will save the entry I was planning to do for a later date.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: