Thursday, May 15, 2008

May Day - Mileage Maniac

Greetings Readers

Mileage. Hmm. I have thought that perhaps I was not over analytical about keeping mileage, but I guess I am. I know that I have posted some pictures of my odometers – yes-plural odometers – which I have on each bike I own.

I do have to know the exact mileage on where I am going, where I have been and where I am going. Yet, I have not exactly been faithful on writing down the mileage in my mileage log.

As from today’s post you can see the many mileage logs in the past six years that I have accumulated. I think at the beginning of the new century I decided to keep a mileage log book. I think I saw these particular desktop calendars on sale after the New Year and thought to myself – First I am going to save some money if I by this calendar book and two I will get some satisfaction out of logging my miles in a mileage book, so to speak.

What I mean is that I have something to look forward to when I get home and it is the end of the day. I get to see what “Super model” woman graces the week and/or I get to see what “Far Side” comic graces the week. I know that the woman thing is shallow, but damn there are a couple of woman I would say “Damn. She is fucking beautiful.(as the other picture shows - She's, her name is Anna, is my type to a T)”


My only excuse is that I am a guy and I do have fantasies. I will admit yes – there are some of the women that are pictured are very fuckable. Again, I am being honest. Yet, I know that is just a thought. I am not going to say it is impossible since I know from experience that nothing is unattainable for me. Oh yes, that is true. I would love to say whom I fucked all night, but I am not one to brag about whom I have fucked. Sorry readers – I could say, “Have sex”, but the first time it literally is “fuck” then love/sex. Or I do have to admit to who’s fucked the living daylights out of me. The tables have been turned a few times in my life.

Anyway, I digress, I am a mileage recorder, but I do not think I “brag” to the world. I do make a note that I did do over a hundred miles in one day, but otherwise anything under a hundred miles I could care less about telling anyone. Anything under a hundred miles, to me, is just a walk in a park.

Yet, I do brag about doing over 150 miles in one day to you. Yes, that is a lot of miles and that is something that I want to share with you readers. I am not looking for a “good job” or “you’re crazy” or anything at all. I am sharing what I have done. In my mind I have done something more than the mere mortal have done in their life, but by no means will I bring that up and “rub” in your face saying I am better than you.

I know that other cyclists/commuters love to brag they did x miles in x amount of time. I don’t care. Yes, I was once that way, but I have learned no one really cares. I will listen to what you have to say, but inside I will store that info in short term memory. More power to you riders – me I will be happy to tell you what I have accomplished in my life, but I am not just going to tell you just to tell you for the sakes of perhaps eluding to that I am better than you mentality.

I have to say that I am better than 90 percent of the cyclist in the world. Yes 90% of the cyclist. That may seem high and mighty, but I think that figure is true.

Mileage recording for me is automatic for me to record, yet these days there are GPS devices. I do not dream about owning any GPS devices, but dang I am thinking more and more about getting some GPS device mileage record thing-a-ma-jig. I think that it would be very cool to have, but I know the cost is pretty high and that is an expense that I do not want to incur, right now

Yet, to see the elevation change on my route would be “awesome” (using the word of my ex co-worker would use - Just So Awesome!). I probably would not share that information with you readers, but just the thought of knowing what elevation gain and loss would be great to know.

I am satisfied with the two odometers on most of my bikes. I can sleep peacefully without knowing the exact mileage from GPS. Yet, the thought of knowing that there is such a device to record elevation gain/loss is great. Getting a GPS device would further push me over into the “psychotic” stage of knowing mileage and elevation.

Again, I am satisfied with the mileage odometers. Since I have two installed as opposed to just one, which means I have doubled the back up to any error. No odometer is accurate, but if I can reduce the error factor by installing two odometers then so be it. I will pay the extra amount to install the extra odometer on my bikes.

A
nd here is a picture of the 1.75 liter Absolute bottle (I mentioned in post within the last week or so) that is just about completely full of pennies. There is just a little space at the top of the bottle. Any of you readers have a guess on how much money is in the bottle? Note - there are some dimes and nickels that might have got put in the bottle by mistake. Just wanted to state that for the record, but there is not going to be a dollars worth of nickels in there. Anyway, my guess is that there is 25 dollars in that thar jar. Also, I do have other Absolute bottles for nickels and dimes, but I have never, ever got even halfway to filling those jars up. I did get a quarter of the way full with the nickels. I was pretty impressed with myself, but then I thought nickels are larger than pennies, therefore will fill up more space per nickel as opposed to per penny.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

1 comment:

Sam H. said...

WOW! You rode over a 100 miles once? You are like Lance Armstrong or something!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd say you're better than 100% of cyclists!