Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Three days down in the Australian Open

Greetings People

It was another late night early morning viewing. I hate to say this but I was dozing between 9:30 pm and 1:00 AM MST. I remember little about each match. I guess I was pretty tired.

Anyway, the alarm came on at 1:25 AM and I was instantly away. And what a time to come a wake. We viewers were granted the viewing of the third set between Safin vs. Sela. Wow, I like saying that I like Safin, but not for playing ability. I like Safin, because he entertains us tennis fans with his anger and uttering those Russian words in the messed up, foul mood he may be in. Things will either get broken around him or things that he owns will get broken. What can I say. This truly makes his matches enjoyable.

So, once more Safin almost followed the path that Nalbandian and Hewitt nearly took. Down two sets and nearly gone in the fourth set. Then, the rains from the Australian Heavens opened up and play was delayed. Well.... not to be one-sided, but the suspended play was called for by Safin and was valid. One may argue that was not the case, but if the rain is on the court, the court will become slick and slippery. Injuries are bound to happen and no player will risk the dangers of that happening.

Yes, I agree Sela had opened a can of cool whip was doing some serious playing while Safin played not very good. I would not say tired, but not playing tennis at the level he is used to. Safin called and asked for the rain delay and was granted by the chair umpire. Yes, he was booed, but again a valid call.

So, the roof was closed and play started about 20 minutes later. And Safin starts off with an ace and then another point and in the end Safin won the match. 6-3, 5-7, 4-6, 7-6(4) 6-0

The commentators said, well that Mary Carillo, oh the rains saved Safin's game. Well, yes and no. I will keep my opinion on this, for now, until the end of the Open

And the picture is of Lleyton Hewitt after his comeback the other night

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: