Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Grand Slam of the Asia/Pacific






Greetings People

I realize that this is technically the third day of the Australian Open, but second day of coverage only ended 8 hours or so ago. Damn I am very tired. I am trying to balance watching all the matches so far and the event has taken a toll on me already. Being 19 hours behind them always messes me up.

Live match play begins tonight at 9 PM MST on ESPN2. I am going to take a nap when I get home and then set the alarm to get up later. I can not handle these late night, early morning matches for us MST people. Granted, I could watch the same-tape delay in the afternoon, but I want my information now and I also want it live.

Such as Sharapova said to Chair Umpire

"Are you Fucking kidding me?...."
I could not help to laugh at Sharapova. The Umpire's call was valid and was immediate. Too bad for Sharapova. I am sure that this might be deleted on today's same-day tape delay.
Day 2 - Re-cap

So, let me begin with that match. Sharapova vs. Pin. I have to say that this match was exciting, because Sharapova was looking pretty awful. Our coverage began in the third set and Pin had one match finally trailing 5-0. So, next thing you know it is 5-1, 5-2-,5-3-,5-4, 5-5, 5-6... and I was yelling and slapping my hands together loudly closing upon the witching hour. I oh so wanted Sharapova to get "Dismissed"

Then, a break was called by Sharapova. Medical and trainer were called. I agree with the call and no problem for the request. I did have a problem with Sharapova walking to the shade part of the arena whether it was her serve or Pin's serve. Overall, the match was good for me, because we, the audience, were witnessing the breakdown of Sharapova on court. She was not pissed, but the look was tired and no remorse for anyone, not even herself. Pin eventually had the meltdown, but was oh so close to kicking her butt back to Florida.

Nadal vs. Kendrick. I have to admit this match was where I was dozing in and out of conscious. I really do not care for Nadal, but I had to try and keep awake so I can watch Hingis. Anyway, the end was nothing new Nadal won. I will have to re-watch again since I can not remember any good shots.

Nalbandian vs. Tipsarevic. Coverage was very limited and we only saw updates that Nalbandian was down two matches and about gone in the third match. 6-7(5), 4-6, and then 7-6(2). I did not want Nalbandian to leave and somewhere Nalbandian found the strength and won all the set until the 5th match when Tipsarevic retired after. Boo yah!

Hingis vs. Dechy. The match that I was absolutely looking forward to. Hingis came onto the court with a black outfit with white trim here and there. She had that smile and spring in her step that makes Martina - Martina. A little trouble for Martina in the beginning of the second set, but won hands down 6-0, 6-2. The commentators on the match also mentioned that Hingis got engaged.

Cjlisters vs Bardina. The first "double bagel" of the match! We did not get to see any coverage of this match except a clip or two. Cjlisters last Australian Open people.

Blake vs. Moya - I only got to watch the first two sets. Urgh 1:45 AM MST I was tired especially after yesterday's early match, so I made myself go to sleep on the couch and the next thing you know it is 5:00 AM. Blake had a tie break in the first set 7-6(8), then the second set apparently end at 6-2 and then this morning when I woke up I saw Blake closed out the match 6-4.

Hewitt vs. Russell. Oh so close. He followed the exact same path as Nalbandian. 4-6, 6-2, 4-6, 7-5, 6-3. I like Hewitt because he is sort of unpredictable. Hewitt almost had an early departure, but I don't think so!

This second day of coverage was better that the first day of coverage. More exciting. Also, the temp was 103 degrees by 4pm their time. One of the announcers on the sideline had a hand held thermometer and it was pegged over 120. Whew wee.

This was only the second day - and an exciting Day at that!

I really do not have anything else to talk about. This is my life for the next week or so.

until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: