Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Quarter finals of the Australian Open 2007

Greetings Readers

Before beginning - this is the next "ova" in line for the winner of the Peer vs. Williams match

Shahar Peer was playing like the number 16 seeded player that she has before her name in this Australian Open.

Regardless of what Mary Carillo was saying on her commentary and/or play by play, Serena is still unseeded. Serena is playing the game that her WTA ranking is currently at. Meanwhile, Shahar was playing the game she has been playing by her WTA ranking. So, with those two important sentences let me begin my recap... er review of the match

Well before I start, can Mary Carillo be such a ....., I mean her commentary, her references, and more importantly her opinion had no business being aired to the world. Who in the fuck cares about her Marty Fish reference, "Clam" up, "porpoise" = purpose, "flounder". I mean it was one irrelevant "joke" after another throughout the Serena vs Peer match. I would let it go by if maybe once or twice talked about. This was overkill throughout the entire Peer vs. Williams match. Then, it was made obvious that Carillo "loves" Serena. Yes, her game is on, that was Serena three years ago. I have to disagree so much. Peer was "on fire" the first set! The play showed and that play exemplified the number 16 seeded player. Yes, you readers guessed it, I am no fan of Mary Carillo. I perhaps can address this later since she irritates with me with her commentating, well "her opinion" and "her platform" since she has the spotlight for the match.

What started off with me regarding Mary Carillo this year was her reference to Justine Henin-Hardenne. Justine is out of the Australian Open due to personal reasons. That should of been enough. There was NO need for Mary Carillo to elaborate on the "personal reasons" So, for the past week Mary would give the reason why. This reminded me of the "National Inquirer" and that new show "Dirt" (which I have not watched) and how they provide the not so "pretty" news of the famous/infamous people. Anyway, last night was the first night that Mary Carillo said "out to personal reasons" and nothing more. Too late for me to take back my ill feelings towards Mary.

Sorry for the tangent readers.
Back to the Australian Open...


The first set was how the numbers showed, The number 16 player was playing the number 85 rank player in the Open. Peer's game was on. Peer's serve, the returns, the power was evident by Peer. On the other hand Serena showed her errors - not getting the ball over the net, over hitting the back baseline of the court by a foot or more or hitting some "chili pepper" Those "chili peppers" reminded me of some of my early years at playing golf. Hah hah.

The start of the second set was the same as the first set. However, Peer started to show some errors. I could not see from watching what the errors were being contributed to. I was beginning to see the decline of play of Peer and, in my opinion, it is the thought of playing a famous tennis player. Not necessarily the name "Serena", but playing someone everyone knows that any non-tennis follower would call a legend. Me? Serena is no "legend" and she still had a way to go.

The third set showed both players picking up right where they left off at the second set. Serena was finally showing some sort of life, a past life, in her tennis game. Meanwhile, Peer was starting to show some playing errors. A 180 degree turn from the first set of the match. It was at this point that I had changed my allegiance to Serena and wanted her to win. This was an 83 minute set by the time this ended.

Two hours and thirty-eight minutes later - the older player came out on top and has another date with another pesky "ova"

Roddick vs. Fish. I watched the first set and we viewers knew this was going to be one sided.

I set the tape for 1:30 AM MST and the match was Federer vs. ????and I just let that go. I am a Federer fan, but not going to cry if I did not get to record the whole match. I heard this morning he won in straight sets. Yep, he still has not given up a set to any opponent this Australian Open.

Note: Prison Break started, but I had to record since the Open is my focus. I will try and watch this week, but perhaps until this weekend

Well, until the next time readers,

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: