Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Gran Torino

Greetings Readers

As the Blog post shows - Gran Torino. I finally got to see this movie. I enjoyed this movie pretty well. Overall, this movie is very good, but not great. There is story, but the movie really focuses on Clint as opposed to the story and the title of the movie.

This is a drama, though there is/are some funny lines, DEPENDING on your point of view. I did laugh / chuckle smile at some of the dialogue by Clint that is offensive, but otherwise I kept a straight face and no laughing since this is drama movie and in the movie there were serious scene that would not make the lines funny.

I do recommend the movie if you are a Clint Eastwood fan, but I would not recommend this if you take offense to racial slurs, whatnot. And that is strong "subject matter" that brings this movie into a very good movie.

Clint did a good job, but I really do not see any sort of nomination for him or the film. It was just a very good movie. And the racial subject is a strong presence in the movie, but as the movie goes further you understand, I hope, that is what makes this movie the movie it is about. Without it - there would no very good movie. You may have not/will not like Clint's character in the beginning of the movie, but in the end you will/should.

As my in personal life - you Readers who have read about me may have thought / said / think that I am rudest person ever known, but if I / we really know each other then you would really know that I am not rudest person you have ever known. After all Clint helps out someone in the movie, which I would hope in all of our books that is nice thing to do for someone else. As opposed to thinking about yourself.

Speaking of nice things. The other day I was going home on Light Rail and I was getting my ticket from the machine kiosk when I went to the machine kiosk next to another machine kiosk that was being used by a young couple going to the Avalanche game downtown.

I touched the screen fast since I do know what to push in order to get my ticket. The young couple saw me do that and spoke

"Boy your fast!"

"Thanks, but I know what to push"

"Hey can you help us get a ticket to Downtown - Avalanche game."

"Sure." I walked to their Kiosk "One way or Round trip?"

"Round trip."

"How many tickets" I ask

"Two"

Then, I started pressing buttons on the screen and about 15 seconds later I was done.

"Thank you very much" the woman said"

"No problem"

"Thanks bud" he said.

And that was another good deed I am sharing with you Readers. I ask how many of you would have done that in single digit temperatures at night? Yes, this couple would have eventually gotten their tickets without my help, but I helped them get their tickets right away since the Light Rail train was coming up and I would hate for them, hell for anyone else, to be waiting for another Light Rail Train in the icy, cold blowing wind in the dark. If you think that if I was the rudest person ever known - would have I helped that couple out?

Sorry, I am not going to tell you the race of the couple since that is irrelevant - the subject is that I thought about someone else besides myself and in my book that is another good deed. I spent that extra minute or two in the cold helping that couple out as opposed to getting my ticket and walking to the Light Rail train to get out of the cold and into the heated Light Rail Trains.

Urgh - I lost another bet and now I am down a six pack of beer. Well, there are only a few more days left in the Australian Open, but not sure with the players left that I want to bet. We will see.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete.

No comments: