Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Australian Open 2009 - Qualifying Round

Greetings Readers

Today (technically yesterday) is the official start of the Qualifying rounds at the Australian Open 2009.

Oh Yes! Readers another year has come and gone and now we are onto the first of the four Tennis Grand Slam in 2009. Every year it begin in Australia - Melbourne.

The website

http://www.australianopen.com

The official start will be on Monday, January 19 2009, but their time, not U.S. time. And you faithful readers know that this will be the hardest two weeks to begin the New Year with. Again, I want to see live action so that means that play will start late at night in the Mountain Time Zone in the United States. Of course I could catch the tape delay, but then I would not be satisfied with that alone. That being said I will be up into the wee hours of the morning and perhaps staying up all night and morning.

The biggest news for me is that Maria Sharapova will not be able to play and defend her title from last year. Apparently, she is still out with the same injury that kept her from playing in the US Open and the Beijing Olympics last year. And I guess to look further than that we viewers do not have to put up with Yuri. Woo hoo!.

I had to use the picture from last year when she won and the she lowered both knees to the court in victory. However, using this picture and the tone of my post it appears that she is "sad." I know I am bending the truth, but I needed a picture that was worthy of the Australian Open 2009 - The Grand Slam of the Asia / Pacific.

I hope, desire, that we viewers are treated to another fantastic first week of the Australian Open, especially the 24 hours of Friday and Saturday of the first week of play last year - that was spectacular! And the epic matches that lasted wee into the night (in the United States) and the Morning (Australia and United States.) Seeing Federer being taken into a 5 set match and then seeing Hewitt start his tennis match at Dawn in the United States was unfucking-believeable. Or in the words of my ex-co-worker "just so awesome!" Those tennis players that played in that 24 hours were tested to the best of there playing abilities. Who knew that Australia could have a "Super Saturday" on the first Saturday of a Tennis tournament?!

And was it not tough for us hard core tennis watchers see Bagdahti start to cry when leaving the tennis court when Hewitt eliminated him from the Australian Open 2008?!

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: