Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Shrugging My Shoulders

Greetings Readers

My friend, Julio, was the one that went to Texas to compete in the Ironman Austin a couple of weeks ago.

Julio finally came back from his time off and we finally got together yesterday.

I showed him my Ironman Arizona stuff that I had from my event in 2005 and then I also showed him all the stuff that I kept from that one week I spent in Tempe, Arizona.

I never realized how much stuff I collected, but I did collect a few things. I showed him the card that most of the people I worked with at my last consulting job made for me. I am pretty damn proud of that card. I also showed him my swimming cap, numbers, wristband, newspapers, registration materials, pamphlets, and a bit of this and that.

Julio told me about his event, the weather Austin, and more important how he did in the Half Longhorn Ironman in Austin, TX. Overall, it was good to hear from another person about their Ironman experience.

I was planning to take a picture of Julio and his medal, but he is camera shy so I just took a picture of his finishing medal. Very pretty. I am very proud of him. He kicked ass on the swimming, did okay on the biking (though he did not have an odometer due to forgetting) and the run... well he had some issues, but he made the finish line.

Changing subjects

This morning I needed to take the bus RTD. There I was, the only one, waiting at the bus stop in the early morning cold and in an area where the morning sun won't hit until later in the morning.

I have no clue how much time, or even what time, since I did not put on my G-Shock watch this morning. I am waiting and just looking here and there, pacing up and down the bus stop area.

Then, I see another bus commuter walking to the bus stop where I was at. He stopped a few yards away from the bus stop and pulled out a camera (or camera phone) and then took a few picture (s?) of the moon in the western part of the sky. After that he walked a bit closer to the bus stop and then stopped. He put away the camera and then pulls out an I-pod.(or something similar)

Readers, I was only glancing here and there, but not paying attention to what he was doing. I was minding my own business. I don't bother him and he does not bother me.

I would estimate it has been a few to five minutes since he showed up. Meanwhile, it has been a longer wait for me. No complaints from me - I just waiting until I see the bus coming. I turned my back to that one guy.

"Excuse me?"

I ignore this sentence and keep my back to him.

"Excuse me?" And yes Readers he said this politely.

I turn and look at him.

"How long have you been waiting?"

I clearly shrug my shoulders in the "I don't know" motion while looking at him, directly in the eyes. I did not say a word since I did not want to say a word. I was in the "I don't want to talk" mood or what I often refer to "Don't fuck with me" mood.

"Excuse me, how long have you been waiting?"

I once again shrug my shoulders in the "I don't know" motion with an indifferent look on my face.

"Can you hear me?" he asks questioningly.

I look at him and shrug my shoulders for a third time and clearly say "Can you not see that I shrugged my shoulders indicating to you that I do not know." I did not yell, nor I say it in a questioning manner. I clearly said that sentence as a statement.

"You don't know how long you have been waiting?" he responds

Readers, In truth I did not know. I was not wearing my G-shock, I did not look at the clock on the wall when I left my humble abode. I only knew that bus comes almost every 30 minutes and whether or not I was going to get to the bus stop at the end of the 30 minutes or the beginning I knew I had that amount of time of leeway of waiting for the bus to come to that particular bus stop.

Now, I was pissed off since I had to actually speak to this guy, when I clearly shrugged my shoulders in the "I don't know" manner. Now, he had the balls to question me that I do not know how long I have been waiting.

1. First and foremost - It is none of his business how long I have been waiting for the bus.
2. I was not going to explain myself to this person.
3. I made sure that I responded to him, instead of just ignoring him for which I have should have done in the first place.
4. I did not raise, shout or yell at him for bothering me. I responded coldly to him, but indifferently. And definitely with no smile on my face.

I respond to him cold and softly "Just leave me alone."

And with that he looked at me and then headed to the other side of the bus stop and that was that.

I knew that I should have biked up to the store as opposed to waiting for bus this morning.

Yet, in truth Readers, I had a smile growing inside me and that was because I probably made him mad for how I responded to him. His misery was my Happiness.

Let me tell you Readers, I pretty warm biking to work after my visit to the Grocery store this morning. Someone Else's misery this morning warmed me up a bunch degrees and the 37 degree weather did not feel 37 degrees. Matter of fact I was so warm I bought another box of Ice Cream bars for storing at work.

Was I rude? I do not think so. I know he was rude for asking me that "you don't know how long you have been waiting?" question.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

2 comments:

Sam H. said...

it is completely reasonable to ask how long you've been waiting, especially considering that the bus comes every half hour, and a bit crazy to get so angry about a simple question. righteous indignation is not the correct response to a harmless question.

Joshua Barker said...

"His misery was my happiness"? Really? Not being able to interact in a normal way with society is sad. What is even more dis-heartening is that you have the physical ability to - you just choose not to. And for no particular reason. You confuse me Mr. Charley.