Thursday, October 09, 2008

The First Cold Bike Ride of Autumn

Greetings Readers

I was cold bike riding to and from work. Granted, I was only wearing my Nautica long sleeve jersey and on top of that I was only wearing one of my bike jerseys. Then, I was only wearing my bike shorts, not my long leg bike pants.

I never really got warmed up. I was cold all the way to work. I was never shaking, but I could feel my fingers getting numb from the early morning cold air whisking against them in the wind. I had a bandanna on my head, as usual, and I also had a bandanna wrapped around my neck to prevent cold air going down into my bike jersey.

On this particular cold morning I did not dare ride fast since that would make the air that much colder against my exposed skin.

I know readers. I should have had put on a jacket and my Natalie Merchant cap, but I want to ride free of any extra clothing or heavy clothing. So, yes I was wrong and stupid for leaving my humble abode in my state of dress, but I know that I have a short 6-mile ride to work. And going home after work was going to be warmer, but that too far in the future to think or even worry about. After all, the night had robbed the earth’s warmth from the day before.

As soon as I got to work, I took a nice hot, and I mean hot shower in the work shower gym. Oh so nice.

Yet, that was not the end of it. Throughout the day I was never really warm and then I saw that the temperature did not really rise from early this morning. Which means that my ride home was going to be just as cold.

And I was not wrong when I left the parking garage after 5:30 P.M. or so. Needless to say, I took my time going home. I went to Best Buy and then I went to Park Meadows and then I stopped off at a fast food joint to warm myself up on my way to my humble abode.

Oh, today’s picture was the morning sun just rising onto a park that I ride by almost every day. I am not sure if it is clear in the picture, but the frost has turned the entire green grass white at the grass tip’s With the Sun at her particular point in the morning sky it turned the field into a white prism of light.

Which I thought looked pretty neat and one sight that I have not seen since earlier this year.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: