Sunday, October 05, 2008

Race for the Cure 2008

Greetings Readers

Today was the first rainstorm of autumn that I got caught riding in. And the falling rain was fucking cold Readers. Icy cold.

After the summer heat and light rain I had encountered before today I was okay with the rain falling on me. Yet, the rain showers that came in today were cold. Cold, heavy and very wet.

I waited and waited for any opportunity for the rain to let up and stop, but it never did. So, I had to wait for the opportunity for a light rain falling. Readers – I was riding in my regular summer riding gear and that meant just a normal short sleeve bike jersey and short bike pants with my customary bandanna wrapped on my head.

Oh, I just hate riding in the cold rain. Although, once you get soaked you are soaked and any rain falling does not matter since you are probably soaked to the skin.

I am not sure that you can tell from the picture’s post, but the rain is falling hard. And the rain would not let up until 10 minutes later when I decided that waiting was useless since the rain was not going to let up.

Now, The Race for the Cure.

Most of the time I have done the Race for the Cure when I am in town. Otherwise, most of the time I am out of town and unable to participate since I am usually in New Mexico. Every year the Balloon festival starts the first week of October and I usually try and make the Balloon Festival.

However, this year I decided to stay in Denver, but I chose to stay away from the Race for the Cure. I am beginning to despise how large the event has grown over the years.

Supporting Cancer is the biggest charity I support each year since the middle 1990’s. With Denver’s Race for the Cure getting larger and larger each year. I just do not like fighting getting a ride on the Light Rail to Downtown. After that I have to fight all the other runners to get a place at the starting line. Then, after the start I have to weave in and out of thousands of runners to actually run.

Yes, there was certain thrill weaving in and out of other runners, but now I just see them as obstacles hindering a decent running time per mile.

Another thing, I never, ever register early and each year they run out of T-shirts. Which means that I have to pick up a T-shirt at one of the Runner’s Roost the following or so when they print up more T-shirts. Oh yes, it is always about the T-shirt.

As you can see I located my first official T-shirt from the first Race for the Cure I registered for. And this was back in the day when the start and finish line was in front of the State Capitol building and Civic Center Park. This was also back in the day when the event had kept timing. I love this T-shirt and it is nice to have this T-shirt as a reminder of the time that I officially became a contributor of money to Cancer.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: