Monday, October 13, 2008

It's On Like Donkey Kong

Greetings Readers

And so goes the story… This did not dawn on me until I got home and was getting ready to eat my dinner at my dining table. And that was when I thought about what I just did not do and hung my head after acknowledging what I just did. Meaning – I just could not fucking believe that I just what I did

I said, “Have a nice trip” and waved goodbye to Debbie and then walked out the store with me high on Cloud 9. I was walking an inch or two taller. I felt very good about seeing Debbie again. I was happy. I walked my bike slowly in front of the Front windows in case Debbie was looking out the front windows. I did not look into the windows to see if I could see Debbie again. I got on my bike and rode home.

Perfect right? Not.

Flashback – About three years when I first saw and got to know Debbie at the other store I remember going to that Qdoba’s and then taking my lunch to the front window where there are seats facing outwards. You know how they have that bar type tables and stools at the front window. So, I often did eat my lunch at the front window and watch the world go by while I enjoyed my lunch. Every now and then I would see Debbie come by and wipe down the areas around where I was eating and also wipe down the stools. Sometimes we chatted or made small remarks to each other. It was kind of our thing. She got to see me more and I too got to see her more and alone. As opposed to her co-workers next to her and me worrying about saying something dumb in front of her and her co-workers. I remembered her Pink belt she wore and somehow that belt made her look good.

Also, since I did not know her name I had to refer to her as the girl who wears the Pink belt

Back to the present, there I was sitting at my dining room table with my head bowed just realizing how I just missed another opportunity to talk/see Debbie again. Why in the fuck did I not eat at Qdoba’s?! Gosh darn I feel like George Costanza – Lord of the Idiots. I am pretty sure that she would have come over to wherever I would be sitting and visit me. I just know it. Somehow I forgot that I/we had chatted in the past when an opportunity presented itself to do so.

I would have to say it was a perfect moment. It was after 5:00 P.M. on a Friday and the place was not busy, yet. Debbie and two other people were manning the front counter; meanwhile there were the cooks who were busy cooking. And the there were two or three employees that looked like they were taking a break so that probably means they were not busy yet and perhaps more could have happened if I would have taken a seat in the dining table in Qdoba’s.

Hindsight. I know this, but seeing Debbie and more than I ever expected to see I just was not thinking. I know Readers – “What’s new.” Right?

Changing Subjects – I won a bet. The Amazing Race bet that I and my friend do every time a new season of Amazing Race starts. The week we do not bet since we have to get introduced to the team and see how they act and interact.

The second week we usually start betting, however we missed doing the betting the second week so we had to bet on Friday to see which team was going to get eliminated.

Since it was initial betting we had to do the coin toss to see who chooses first. I lost and that meant my friend chose first and picked the team who I was going to pick – the southern blonde belles. I did not have another team in mind and I only recorded the first two episodes without watching the episodes.

Readers, I have been in mood lately and I just was not in the mood to watch the Amazing Race. So, I had no idea how the teams were or acted. I did watch the first ten minutes of the first episode where each team is introduced and a brief summary about them is mentioned.

With that in mind I remember seeing the gaming “Geeks.” They coined themselves “Geeks” not me. I remember them talking about how they loved game and puzzles and then of course I saw them playing Guitar Hero. I laughed, but I was laughing at the Guitar Hero and I think I remember them saying they were a force to watch out for.

So, when my friend chose the Southern Belles I decided I am going to choose the Geeks. And this is only because they were so confident about themselves and they referred to themselves as Geeks. With that I knew that confidence about being “gaming Gods” I knew they were going to get eliminated.

Sunday evening about 15 minutes into the show I knew that I had won the bet. I cheered and “Oh yeah” and then when I came in Monday morning – there was my winnings – A Bottle of Coca-Cola.

The sweet taste of victory

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: