Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A New Headlight for My Winter Bike

Greetings Readers

I absolutely hate buying any headlight(s) for my bike(s). To me that is a waste of money. And overall, they do cost an arm and a leg to buy (well, the name brand Cat’s-eye does since I am not going to buy a "cheap" no name brand). Not to mention that the batteries really do not hold that much power to power the headlight for a very long time and I have to keep buying new batteries to keep the headlight bright.

When I do buy a headlight I also have to buy a very large pack of double AA batteries since I would go through many batteries to keep that light bright.

Another thing is that I know the route home and I am usually pretty good about watching out for the vehicle traffic after dark.

When I get off work in the dark I usually stick to the sidewalks since riding in the gutter on the side of the road is pretty dangerous. How do I not know there is an object that fell off a vehicle and now lays waiting in the gutter? How do I not know that there is now a fairly large rock which could be waiting there for me to run over and either give me a flat or worse yet bend my rim?

Flashback – During the late Spring, Summer and Early Autumn I ride on the streets. Which means that I know almost every crack, dimple and condition of the road that I am riding on. I know where to avoid and where to avoid when on the bike path.

Present - Now, with the dark already in play when I get off work I have to stick to sidewalks and bike paths. And I have to re-learn where all the cracks, holes, damaged sidewalks and loose dirt might be on the road of life from the previous winter.

It is not that I do not want to ride on the sidewalks, but I am not comfortable riding on them since I am so use to riding in the streets and gutters.

Anyway, the headlight is something that I really do not need. I can see by the moon, if it out and I can make out my path with the streetlights. Though there are areas that are pitch black and that is when I have to go very slow and just hope there is nothing my riding path.

Also, during this time of the year I have to heighten my senses of my surroundings since it is more often than not full dark when I am riding home. Headlights from vehicles are only forward so I have to make sure that I be aware of side traffic turning.

Matter of fact a vehicle almost hit me last night. I was going my way home and I had the right of way since the side street had the stop sign, but alas even with my head light the vehicle did not see me so I have to swerve a second or two in out in front and that is when heard the quick braking of the truck and then my middle finger came out instantly. Was I scared? No. Pissed? A bit. But overall just thought to myself it has begun and it will be until February or so when I see days getting longer in the daytime and do not have to worry about riding in the dark.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, just a middle finger, but I have to admit that it felt like a moment to silently say, “Fuck you.” And that my Readers is the first almost being hit in the Autumn of 2008.

Until the next time

Daryl Charley
The Fallen Athlete

No comments: